Building a Car-Pc

Soldato
Hi

Im thinking about doing this as a small project to keep me busy sometime soon. I want to build one as cheap as poss (£300-£400) inc screen. Spec wise id like something like a 1.2ghz system, and something with wireless internet built in so if i was in the right area, i could use it.

Software wise, i want something where on the screen it gives you a list of options like: Internet / Mp3 / Film (dvd drive would be nesessary too) / GPS

I know im being pretty vague and i know there have been threads on this in the past, but i have pretty much no idea where to start. Im looking to build myself as im assuming that will be cheaper, the trouble i see is how to get power to it, as obviously your normal PSU's arent going to work in-car, and also would it be possible to have a switch on the dash to turn it on and off instead of having to go into the boot and manually turn it on everytime you stop and start the engine.

Any idea's on spec and any advice are most welcome (also what would be the best sort of screen? i see you can get ones from the auction site for around £120)

Soldato
I think most people have the PC wired into the ignition, so it switches on when you turn the car on, or with a 5 second delay, so it doesn't load the battery too much when you're starting the car.

Associate
300-400 pound I doubt will get you very far. A touchscreen I believe is about 200+ and a power supply for the car will be about 50 pound, or if you get an opus 100 plus. A lot of people installing a car pc hit four figures, or get near.

Soldato
OP
Mr.T said:
300-400 pound I doubt will get you very far. A touchscreen I believe is about 200+ and a power supply for the car will be about 50 pound, or if you get an opus 100 plus. A lot of people installing a car pc hit four figures, or get near.

cheap shuttle or something like that wont be much. it wont be happening for a few months anyway. Give me some time to get funds together.

Screen = £200
Cheap shuttle socket A plus bits - £150
PSU - £100 odd

So its not so bad, unless ive vastly understated what i need.

/edit - i noticed on a website there is a Car PSU especially made for a shuttle barebones systems, so that would do nicely.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
if you go for one of the cheap indash things from the bay without the touch screen and make up some kinda idrive style interface you should be able to drop the price down even more i would have thought. Don't know how easy it would be to run a gps thinger this way thou

Soldato
OP
Siliconslave said:
if you go for one of the cheap indash things from the bay without the touch screen and make up some kinda idrive style interface you should be able to drop the price down even more i would have thought. Don't know how easy it would be to run a gps thinger this way thou

Yeah, after reading - like Rilot said, im gonna get a touchscreen. I'll mount the shuttle in the boot. Room isnt an issue for me as its an estate. So i'll have loads of room to mount a cheap shuttle in the boot. Touch screen monitor, then things like GPS adapter etc. Shouldnt cost me too much at all then.

Rilot - that looks a good setup but id be looking at spending £450 inc monitor, so i think cheap shuttle is the way to go.

Thanks for all the comments :) appriciated.

Associate
James_N said:
cheap shuttle or something like that wont be much. it wont be happening for a few months anyway. Give me some time to get funds together.

Screen = £200
Cheap shuttle socket A plus bits - £150
PSU - £100 odd

So its not so bad, unless ive vastly understated what i need.

/edit - i noticed on a website there is a Car PSU especially made for a shuttle barebones systems, so that would do nicely.
I think touch screens are slightly more expensive, especially if you do not wish to get a lilliput one, which I have heard are prone to fault.

Power supplies can be got for more like 50 pounds ( just checked) - M1-ATX can be got for 47. That one I think is for ITX systems though.

Also I think you also need to factor in buying wires, such as the ones running from battery.

Back
Top Bottom