3rd party extended warranties

Soldato
I was wondering if anyone had ever made use of http://www.warrantyworks.co.uk/ or similar for covering themselves when out of manufacturer's warranty? I've heard good things about them and was seeking opinion of anyone who's used them.

I've had an RAC extended warranty before and it wasn't really worth the extra expense as everything that ever went wrong miraculously wasn't covered by them!

Soldato
Nothing will beat a manufacturers warranty.

Weigh up the cost and consider the age of the car, mileage etc and whether or not it has a history of breaking.

A lot of people who have had bad experiences with these Third Party efforts have fallen foul of the wording in the policy "mechanical failure".

For example, an Integra owner had a nasty grinding noise from the gearbox, the oil was silver but warranty said no go - because it's not actually failed as yet.

So, he said he'll wait for it to fail - they said - if you dont rectify the problem your warranty is void.

Nice. That's just an example of possible problems. I'm sure some people have had great luck with their TP warranties but a worrying amount of other people have been asked to bend over whilst the warranty people insert something.

Don
From experience, these types of warranties are only useful for placing round a roll of cardboard and making use of in the morning before work.

As well as the machnical failure clause, there is another one marked "Normal wear and tear" and another, usually marked "Secondary failures are not covered".

The first one means that if you steering rack fails after 5 years, they will argue that it is normal wear and tear that caused it, and not pay.

The second one means that if your waterpump failed, sending metal shards round the engine waterways and essentially ruining the motor, they will only pay for the water pump as the other damage was secondary and caused by the waterpump failure.

Be careful.

Caporegime
Yep usually not worth the paper its printed on, my uncle got done over in a similar fashion.

Simply save the money each month instead of giving it to someone else, if you get a problem they take some out of the pot to pay for the damage, to make a extended warranty pay you need either a huge failure or lots of bad luck.

Soldato
I had a 3rd party warranty on my R5 GTT. The conditions were that you had to take the car to an "approved garage" and they'll decide if it falls within the warranty terms.

Luckily for me I made friends with my local "approved garage" and everytime something was looking a bit dodgy they'd happily replace it for me as they'd get paid from the warranty company. They let me pay the extra and get uprated stuff too so I managed to get a GP N clutch for £20, double capacity radiator for £10, that sorta thing.

I tried my hardest to blow the turbo but it just wouldn't go, shame really as a nice hybrid would've gone down well :)

Associate
i had a warranty from motorplan £200 for 1 year on BMW 3 Series. Waterpump failed, put the claim in as it said its covered in details. They said no because it was wear and tear :/ dont waste ** money...

Soldato
I'm paying £58 per year on top of my AA cover for a parts a labour warantee that covers me for upto three £500 claims per year with a £25 excess. Covers all the important stuff like engine, gearbox and cooling system.

Back
Top Bottom