Today I got...

Soldato
A Minolta Dynax 5D :D

Came with a 18-70mm lens, (plastic cheapy kit lens job), 2 batteries, charger, USB cable.

I've been having a little play with pictures from my back garden - but hopefully by the time the weekend is over, I will be able to submit some pics :)

Also got a Sandisk 1GB Ultra II CF card yesterday morning, and all my current lenses work fine :D

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Nice one on the purchase, looking forward to seeing the shots you take at F1 next week with it :)

Associate
Nice one mate. Best get some practice in before the F1 practice (i.e. post some pictures here). Don't want you missing shots while you're figuring out what all the buttons do ;)

See you Monday :)

Soldato
OP
I got a card reader from my local electronics supply shop for not much money at all, my brother is playing with the camera and the awful plastic 17-80mm kit lens

On the scheme of things...much cheaper to spend a few hundred on a Minolta body, and keep my collection of lenses (70-210 f4, 75-300 f4-5.6, 50mm f1.7, 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 as well as the 2 film bodies I have got).

Then spend loads and loads of money buying all canon stuff! But yeah, I'm not disappointed at all with my purchase. I know how to meter now, just need to learn how to bracket :D

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Does this camera have a similar feature to AI servo as would be seen on something like the 350d?

Associate
congrats mate. you wont regret buying the 5d, it realy is a lovely camera.

TomWilko said:
Does this camera have a similar feature to AI servo as would be seen on something like the 350d?

it has a predictive focus mode and can automaticaly track across focus points. does spot metering too.

Soldato
I had a play with one last year at Focus on Imaging and it seemed pretty good, a few too many buttons on the back but nice and solid.

You need one of these lenses :)

konica-minolta-300.jpg

Associate
SDK^ said:
I had a play with one last year at Focus on Imaging and it seemed pretty good, a few too many buttons on the back but nice and solid.

You need one of these lenses :)

If he could get one.....they're as rare as rocking horse poo at the moment, no-one has any in stock. Which is a right royal pain as I got made redundant last week but already had a job lined up to go to...so the redundancy money is there to be played with (well some of it). However, there are rumours floating about the KM group on dpreview from some fairly well respected members that we are going to get a whole new lens range in the summer, with a decent number of SSM (HSM) lenses. Woo-hoo.

And we Minolta users like buttons and dials, saves us having to go through menus to do things.

Associate
Yep, absolutely love my KM7D, takes awesome pics and plenty more keepers than I've ever got with any other camera. I used my m8s 20D alongside my 7D at an airshow last year, and got far more keepers on my 7D despite having faster glass on the Canon ;)

Colour reproduction is superb right out of the camera, and the feel of it is so much better (to me) than either the Nikon D70 or Canon 20D, but then that sort of thing is a personal preference anyway. IS on all lenses is great too.

As for "selling out" to Sony it's not all bad, Sony made the CCD anyway (same as Nikon D70), so it's not necessary a bad thing (yet ;)). KM will continue to make the bodies & lenses for Sony, so hopefully the build quality will remain just as good.

Excerpt from the DPReview news section..
They will be transferring assets related to their camera business to Sony who will continue to develop digital SLR's based around the Konica Minolta lens mount. Konica Minolta it appears will continue to work with Sony (a relationship announced last year) in the development of digital SLR's and lenses but they will not be branded as or be sold by Konica Minolta.

Rumours are that a 9D could be released by the end of the year, which should give the upper-end Nikon & Canon's a run for their money :)

Time will tell though.

Back
Top Bottom