Old celeron (card CPU) need some project to do with it.

Associate
Well its an old celeron thats has the CPU on a card *shows its ages* think it has about 64MB of RAM. I think it has internal GPU. It has a 2GB hard drive. Uses serial mouse port and the old style keyboard input.

I neeed a project to do with it. Any ideas.

Associate
OP
MAMA box?

Could use it as a file server need to get XP on it. It does use SDDR RAM so should be able to beef up the memory issues.

Would that also mean having XP pro on my main computer to control it?

*edit*

BTW you sig is wrong....PI=3 :p

Man of Honour
Soldato
Associate
OP
MAMA that looks cool but I dont have that much room, but maybe in the future I could do that.

Linux IF SOMEONE teaches me how to use it well....last time I used it I wasnt a happy chappy at the end of the day.

Associate
OP
firewall would be good but its the fact of getting to to work 100% and I mean 100% because if it breaks and cuts the connection my parents would go through the roof because they wouldnt be able to fix it without me.

File server could be good, but its a fact of what do I put on it.

Associate
FWIW I've had two Linux firewalls in Ummm about 6 years, maybe even 8. First one eventually gave up the ghost ( hardware faults ) and also needed one re-install. Second ones still going. Bother where based on very old hardware. P75 initially and can't remember what the current one is. P200 probably.

Think that's as close to 100% reliable as you can expect :)

Associate
OP
Ok will try that what will I ask in the linux section of the forum so I get info on zacly *** im looking for.

I have some NICs handy. *** have to be silent though...*sighz* PSU mod I can see it now...also would be a new case that has sides to it...

Associate
Firewall wise I use a Linux distro which is specifically for Firewalling called Smoothwall. I've also used Slackware and set it up manually as a firewall.

Associate
OP
I have to go out an collect them back from my friends *cracks knuckles*

I have got a firewall working before with windows, it was more of a router for me and my friend playing games against each other online.

So ...software sorted, Need to collect the NICs, need a keyboard that uses the old interface, should be able to get the serial mouse for under £1 on another site. Just a matter of turning it on and going into BIOS to check things r working, then try boot the OS if it has one on it. But first need keyboard.

Man of Honour
Soldato
You might not even need a mouse for the interface. Something of that age will have PS/2 ports for input devices. Everybody's got a pile of that old stuff. It should be easy for you to borrow them for setup. It's quite likely that Smoothwall will have no problem with USB keyboard and mouse.

Associate
Smoothwall doesn't use a mouse at all :) - being a firewall doesn't need a GUI. Maintenace, in the unlikely event you need to, is either command line, or from memory web page ( I havn't had to mess with mine so long I can't remember - lol ).

Back
Top Bottom