VB Help

Soldato
iv been doing a project where iv created a simple VB front end and connected it to an Access database but now things are going slightly out of my reach

i havent done any vb or C++ for quite sometime so it seems im looking at it the wrong way

basically my current task is as follows. Iv created a Login form to the program, the user enters a username an password and it was fine. But now it needs to be more detailed. So iv added 'user group' where the user selects whether they are Admin or User to which the program determines access rights e.g. some buttons will be disabled under user

so iv thought about it and i think i need a few global variables in each of the other forms? which is passing the values throughout the program?

could anyone please help me with what i need to write?

sfx

sfx

Associate
There maybe better ways but this is a really simple way and will probably do what you are after.

In a Module put...
Code:
Public strUsername As String
Public strGroup As String
Then in you button click event handler (could be any handler depends what you are doing) add something like this...
Code:
Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Select Case strGroup
        Case "Admin"
            Load Form1
            Form1.Show
        Case "User"
            MsgBox "Sorry you do not have the required permissions to access this form!", vbExclamation, "You Application name"
    End Select
End Sub

So basically what is happening is the user logs in and if it is successful you will assign the username and group to required variable. So if it is an Admin that has logged in then strGroup will = "Admin". Upon clicking button one you check for the group that is logged in, if it is an Admin then you show then the form otherwise display a message box.

You could do other things to like if it is just a user logged in, instead of not allowing them access to the form just disable some controls etc...

Hope this helps,

sfx

Associate
hi it was actually me doing the vb but i was awaiting account activation

iv done it as above and it works great :) was abit hard working out what was needed in the login form but i got there in the end and my login is working just the way i wanted it to
thanks for ** input

Associate
need more help :(

can anyone help me with the code needed to read usernames & passwords from a text file??

and also perhaps how i could encrypt that file...without 3rd party software

sfx

sfx

Associate
If you are already using a Database I would store the Username and Password in the Database and password protect the Database.

sfx

Back
Top Bottom