• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX57 steppings advice needed!

Soldato
Hi all,

I have an American chap who is keen to nab one of me Opteron 170 0550's from me, in return he is offering

FX57 (0516WPMW)
+ £150.00

Anyone know about this FX57 stepping? of course the yankee is saying to me that its the best stepping you can get! :p

Any feedback appreciated, I'm new to this Internation Silicon trading and don't wanna get mugged off! :o

Soldato
OP
thanks for prompt response guys! :)

I have spare 170's so its not like Im giving up on the dual-core, but I'm just wondering if you think its a good trade?

The cost of the 170 was £315, deduct the £150 means he is basically offering me the FX-57 for £165???

So what you reckon that that FX-57 would be worth on auction ;)

Associate
Thats the same stepping as mine. It'll run at 3GHz just by upping the multiplyer, no extra voltage needed. I just leave it at that.

It'll hit 3.1 with a small voltage increase and by dropping the mulitplyer and clarting about with the mem timings.

I didn't know the stepping until i got it, but since doing searches for info, thats the week to go for. I just got lucky :)

Soldato
Depends what you're doing with your PC

If you'll benefit from a dual core chip then yes, otherwise stick with the FX57. You'll only really see large benefits with multi-threaded applications or if you want to intensively multitask, like run an encoding application at the same time as a game

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
Depends what you're doing with your PC

If you'll benefit from a dual core chip then yes, otherwise stick with the FX57. You'll only really see large benefits with multi-threaded applications or if you want to intensively multitask, like run an encoding application at the same time as a game

all i use my pc for is using Photoshop CS word & a few FPS games , i also live in Herne Bay not far from u :)

Soldato
Yeah - I know someone in Herne Bay too!

Photoshop CS is multi-threaded so if you perform a lot of CPU intensive filter operations then you'll definitely benefit from a dual core CPU. There was a thread where a lot of people used a photoshop image filter and posted results so you could see what CPUs performed better than others. It looks like it's been pruned though

I've saved the link to the table of results though - http://www.weescott.co.uk/ps_challenge.asp. This shows the benefits with dual core chips

Soldato
S-H-A-N-E said:
I might get a upgrade , ive only had my FX57 since Aug last year , i will have to think about , do games run better in dual core ?

Yes and no...

Depends on whether they have a dual core patch, and how much load your sound, lan, USB controllers are putting on your first cpu core...

Even without the dual core patch, if you are running a USB mouse and USB keyboard, you are likely to see more consistency of frame rates.. thats been my experience anyway...

Where the DC really scores is in windows apps... you dont end up with a dog slow machine if you are unraring a huge file etc to the extent where you may as well walk away for a few minutes...

:D

Back
Top Bottom