Educate me about the Lexus / Toyota Soarer

Soldato
In my quest to find a fast turbocharged Jap car within my budget (£5k) i've come across another vehicle which has grabbed my fancy - Lexus / Toyota Soarer. The one i've been looking at is a 280 bhp twin turbo'd auto model, with 28k on the clock up for around £4k.

Anyone know much about these cars? I assume they share a lot of the parts from the Supra as I think it's the same 2.5 litre I6 from the MK3 imports. I'm also assuming they're pretty damn fast.

I can get insured on one quite cheaply - not much more than for an MR2 turbo.

d0_12_sb.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
a mate of mine has one of these. says he loves it. I can't give you any more details apart from it's expensive to run and he had to take it to a specalist in london to have work done on the fuel system.

Soldato
they aren't sports cars, big floaty cruiser types.

the non turbo ones are quite slow, i think they are approaching 1800kg.

although, you can get a V8 version ;)

Soldato
i fancied one of these, top speed of the twin turbo is around 170 :p only the 2.5 twin turbo came with a manual too. theres a rubbish na 3 litre but the v8s are nice. but no where near the turbo models

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nice looking cars, especially when modded, but the weight lets the handling and performance down a bit. More of a GT than a genuine sports car.

Nice cars, but more performance can be had for £5k.

Soldato
performance car tested on years back, about 10 years ago.

they said the skyhook suspension made it handle like a car half its weight. the 2.5TT is a sleeved down version of the 3.0tt and is extremely revvy

i want one too, but do not want a GAF auto version

Soldato
OP
DreXeL said:
Nice looking cars, especially when modded, but the weight lets the handling and performance down a bit. More of a GT than a genuine sports car.

Nice cars, but more performance can be had for £5k.

I really want an FC TII but I can't find one for love nor money :(

Associate
Hes not heeeaavvyy, hes my brother.
Looks like a Phat Nissan 200sx... but with a much better interior if thats your bag.

The one pictured above looks horrid. But in other colours with better wheels they can look a lot better. Guy at work bought one from a friend in the trade for 2K and spent another K on wheels. I thought he was mad at first, but seeing them on it, it certainly needed bigger rims. Pimpin.

Price on mods for them is eyewatering. He was considering an FMIC for it - but rekoned it was going to set him back 1K - near 3 times the price of my identical looking kit for the 200sx.

They are faster in a straight line than a standard 200sx, but I wouldnt want one as a track car personally - with its weight and standard wallowy suspension.

Soldato
manual TT is like trying to find rocking horse poo. i really have looked :S

i then got some quotes online and they are frankly scarey lol

Back
Top Bottom