OCUK world exclusive - New Jaguar XKR - 56K no

Soldato
Well perhaps not, but I don't think many will have seen one of these before.

While over in France this afternoon I stumbled across this:

xkr1small.jpg

xkr2small.jpg

I got out and thought to myself, "That looks like the new Jaguar XK8". And sure enough it had Jaguar across the back. Then I noticed the disguises, guages and stuff straped to it and thought, "Hey this car has been road tested by journalists, why is it still under wraps".

I was then approached by a team of people who appeared out of a Range Rover and a Range Rover Sport. they sked me to put the camera away and then explained that this was the new XKR model that they had just taken to Europe for testing. They did a lot of winter testing at altitude in Switzerland and had been to the 'ring where it lapped in 08:02. They told me that this was exceptional for a cabriolet and they felt this was the best handling ragtop in the world. Not knowing enough to say whether this was BS or not, I thought I'd ask the mighty fine forumites here. Does that sound like a good time for laping the 'ring? I remember Evo looking to break 8 moinutes in a previous generation M3 so I was not that impressed but I am ignorant of such matters and what it being a cabrio does to the handling.

I have to say, even though it was covered in muck and disguised it still looked a million dollars in the flesh.

Soldato
I think the soft top alters the handling because it's not quite as stiff so there's more body roll.

Don't quote me on that though.

Soldato
OP
Tax Evader said:
Hmmm, don't really like the decals... they should do it without.

I didn't notice a smilie. You do know they are not there as decoration and are used just to wire in sensors and disguise the general lines of the car a bit. :confused: Just like those rear alloys will not have a great big black bit of plastic coming out of the centre. :p

Associate
BigT said:
I didn't notice a smilie. You do know they are not there as decoration and are used just to wire in sensors and disguise the general lines of the car a bit. :confused: Just like those rear alloys will not have a great big black bit of plastic coming out of the centre. :p

Hehe, yeah I don't like to use smilies.. If I do I start to talk to them

Soldato
OP
Well they assured me that this was setup exactly as the XKR is going to be when released later this year. It has different brakes, suspension and the supercharged engine that the XKR is going to have. I don't have much of a clue if it is the same shell as the XK they're using for testing. I don't see why they'd go t the trouble of disguising it a bit if it is just a standard XK shell.

Edit: The only difference I see visually actually are the quad tailpipes. Looking at the new XK web site, the new car has only two.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are probably just using the XK shell for testing the engine/suspension setup; i'll be surprised if there aren't a few more obvious visible differences so people know you paid the extra money :)

Soldato
im working at jaguar atm on nights

where they are making these

and also other makes not been relased

and that pic does looks very poor compared to the ones ive seen

im going to take some pics of the cars being made

engine box running gear dash the lot

anyone interested?

Soldato
Good pics mate. could have been worse and they could have made you delete the pics or took your camera :p

I like the car. Look a lot better, when its to its normal glory with the tape and such and a good clean.

Take some pics of the car on the assembly line, would be great to see the finish article aswell :D

Soldato
TiZoR said:
lol are they keen on photos?

Obviously can't speak for Jaguar but at Lotus cameras are tightly controlled. All visitors must leave any camera equipment (including mobiles with cameras) with security. It's only quite recently that staff have been allowed to bring camera phones on site and even then if anyone is caught using it (for anything at all) they'll be disciplined.

If I was to take pics and post them on the internet I'd expect to lose my job if I was found out.

Back
Top Bottom