HELP: xp install problem

Associate
Hi all

my m8 is having problems installing xp on his new pc
he puts the windows disk in, it starts to load untill set Partition / format c etc, all is fine until till reboot then the pc asks to set partition again???? (just loops on restart prompt????) if he skips set partition he gets error loading operating system ????

ive tryed boot from cd rom, jumper setting etc,

any help welcome

mobo: Winfast 6150k8ma
AMD: 3200 64bit
WD: 200gb
OC RAM: 512mb
400w antec PSU

Soldato
How are the boot options set in the BIOS (should be boot from CD then hard drive or something similar)? It might be booting from CD every time. Try taking the CD out when it asks you to restart the PC, it should start setup from the hard drive and ask for the CD to be put back in (if your BIOS boot options are set correctly).

Associate
Have you tried a full format rather than a quick format?

Are there any scratches on the install cd?

Goto the hard disk manufacturers website and download a utility to check the hard disk is functioning properly.

Do you get any specific error messages?

I'm assuming he doesn't need specific SATA drivers if the install files are copying to the hard disk?

Associate
OP
cherrs for the replys

ive tryed quick format & full format & tested the hdd in my icy box witch was fine

the only error message i get is "error loading operating system"

any more adivice would be appreciated :)

Soldato
Use FDisk to remove all partitions (including ones hidden to the windows partition tool) and create a new partition.

I have seen a similar (maybe) issue where it was impossible to install XP because there was a hidden partition that prevented changes to the visible partitions. I had a computer that had ME on it. I tried to install XP on it and it would bomb out after partitoning etc and revert back to ME even tough I had deleted and re-created the partitions with the XP install process.

May not be the problem, but worth a try.

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom