England squad to face Uruguay

Soldato
Here

Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), Green (Norwich), James (Man City).

Defenders: Young (Charlton), Bridge (Chelsea), Terry (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Ferdinand (Man Utd), King (Tottenham), G Neville (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Lampard (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), J Cole (Chelsea), Jenas (Tottenham), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Carrick (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd).

Forwards: D Bent (Charlton), Rooney (Man Utd), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).

It's worrying to see players like Green, Young, Brown, Jenas, Wright Philips, Richardson, Bent and Crouch in a squad so close the the 2006 World Cup. It just goes to show what a serious lack of depth we have.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
HangTime said:
Why is it worrying to have Wright-Phillips in the squad? I'd say he's one of the best wingers we have.

OK, so he can take a man on but his final ball isn't what it should be. He alos runs with his head down leading him to overun the ball on many occasions.

You may laugh, but i'd rather have Aaron Lennon in the squad. In my opinion he has more awareness than SWP. It's not going to happen though.

Also, i would have picked Michael Dawson in front of Wes Brown. I've been very impressed with Dawson everytime i've seen him this season.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont see anyone out of the first eleven who can contribute anything to the team by coming on.
What is bringing, say......... Jenas on going to achieve?
Or Kieron Richardson?

Soldato
fozzybear said:
You may laugh, but i'd rather have Aaron Lennon in the squad. In my opinion he has more awareness than SWP. It's not going to happen though.

He can cross for a start, and although he is hit and miss, that lad who plays for Birmingham.......... cant think of his name.

I'd rather have Wright Phillips than Beckham though.

Soldato
daz said:
What's wrong with Darren Bent?

I'm hoping he gets his chance against Uruguay next week.

Nothings wrong with Darren Bent, he just isnt a match winner.

Kevin Nolan, better than Jenas, Barton, better than Jenas.
Players with proper ability and proper drive to get stuck in, Jenas in the tackle is painfull to watch, epsecially if you like getting stuck in your self, you keep screaming at the TV "Put some ******* effort in to it you gay ****** ******".

Soldato
OP
daz said:
What's wrong with Darren Bent?

I'm hoping he gets his chance against Uruguay next week.

I'd say Marlon Harewood, Jason Roberts and James Beattie are all at the same level as Darren Bent. Personally, i wouldn't pick any of them for England.

Man of Honour
I think you need to remember that some of the players in this squad aren't considered first choice by Sven, it's more a question of injuries forcing him to introduce some peripheral players:

Campbell/Woodgate > Brown
Owen > Bent
A.Cole > Bridge
Downing > Richardson (possibly)

For me the only real concerns are Jenas and James being in the squad, when there is no need for it (Parker/Nolan would be better options).

Furthermore remember that traditionally Sven is an idiot, and still experiments with his squad/formation in friendlies until immediately before a big tournament starts. In my opinion, when you are in World Cup year, you should have a largely settled team, only making changes when forced, rather than trying out new options all the time and losing any continuity. Especially in midfield I believe we need to get the players used to playing together, Gerrard and Lampard should be able to play together in the centre, if he actually gave them enough practice at it.

Man of Honour
I'd like to see Lennon in the squad too, he looks an excellent prospect from what I've seen of him.
Good to see James still in there. If anyone deserves a WC place & the possibilty of playing in a massive game for his country with all the fans hopes resting in his safe hands, it's that fool.

Back
Top Bottom