barton overclocks :)

Soldato
Yep - and if you're willing to spring the extra £15ish get a RamBooster to go with it - some old school bh5 + lots of volts = happy XP-M ;) (Ideally you need something that will do 2,2,2,11 at 230+ <- as you then won't be held back by your ram!)

Soldato
http://www.fatrakoon.co.uk/pc/mb-nf7s.htm

Water cooled, however, thats a Thermaltake Aquarius, and lets be honest, its not exactly the coldest cube in the pack, so I seriously think we can still call it AIR-COOLED.
The Fans were 4x80mm blowing onto the HDs, a 120mm at the back blowing into the case, directly through the RAD, and a 120mm in the PSU sucking out too!, this is plenty of air flow through the thing, and more importantly is that the PC has been kept in my attic which is a lot more vital to the temps than you could imagine. For example, that water block on its own, with no pipes even connected to it can run the XP17 @ 2.4 and play 20 minutes of UT2K4 and the temps stay below 50c, so thats a bloody efficient Block I recon.

Erm, I still have the CPU... I will get the Steppings some other time... The WC kit in in a kwiks bag cos I was going o put it onto a sempron 754 but never got round to it.

Associate
FatRakoon, put your 3Ghz suicide shot up mate... and I'm pretty sure your chip is an the same stepping & week as mine (0308), my first 1700 was the 0310 I had off you

Mine:-
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=69440
http://www.insancen.co.uk/random/2600+.jpg

The cooling
http://www.insancen.co.uk/random/1700overall.jpg
http://www.insancen.co.uk/random/1700cooling.jpg

5th place in weescotts table
http://www.weescott.co.uk/overclocking_amd.asp

1700 JUIHB DLT3C 0308, Air cooled (Well, 400CFM of air anyway)
Abit NF7, Sonic Tower, 2x512MB Old CH-5

I will get it higher, (I want 4th on that table) that's on a stock BIOS without the OCZ DDR booster in, just need time to do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
My XP17 Suicide run?

Erm, dont have any updated pics or owt, but this a link to the webpage I am fannying on about it in...

WebPage on the XP17
http://www.fatrakoon.co.uk/pc/oc-xp17.htm

OR a direct link to a screenie
http://www.btinternet.com/~thefatrakoon/pc/pics/msidelta/xp17-3ghz.jpg

Of course, a CPU that walks all over my X2 4800 is, in my eyes, somethign to not let go, so yes, I still have that bugger, and now I got RAM in a few other PCs that I really should just not worry about, RAM that hits 300FSB and so in theory, I will no longer be stopped by overclocking slower RAM, and I guess its ben a while now, so time to start playing again!

Anyway, needless to say, the NF7S is currently being coupled up with the XP17 as we speak ( well, sort of.. I will do in a few minutes ) and I am digging out the WaterChill kit ( another purchase that got stuffed into a kwiks bag when I stopped clocking ) and I think I will stuff the XMX4400-TwinX from the DFI into it, and use the OCZ in the DFI for a bit ( Only runs at 200FSB anyway )... That way I wont need to worry about getting the timings on the RAM right... I will just go for the CPU Max-out... I am sure that 256 was the MAX FSB I reached on that Mobo. Not sure about the BIOS I used, but I still have a dump-load of them, so I will maybe try a few out.

Anyway... updates as soon as I can be bothered.

Soldato
FatRakoon said:
I am sure that 256 was the MAX FSB I reached on that Mobo. Not sure about the BIOS I used, but I still have a dump-load of them, so I will maybe try a few out.

Damn! If you do remember pleaase let me know - would love to be able to get my NF7-s up to 250FSB :eek:

Associate
quite happy to be honest!

done the L12 mod and and threw the D26 Mantaray bios on, now boots at 250FSB!!!! were as it wouldnt boot at 217 before hand, turns out my Mushkin Blueline fails memtest over 220 (test 5) on any timing. is this a compatabilty problem or is the ram a bit naff?

so ive gone from 200x12= 2400mhz to 220x11= 2425mhz. saw a big increase in my si soft sandra memory bench, from 3100/2900 to 3300/3100 (approx) and knocked a couple of seconds of my SuperPi time.

still want more fsb though!!!

P.S does any of your memory dividers work?? i can only use 1:1 or equivelent or Auto.

Ryan.

EDIT: took my chip code down when doing the L12 mod it is as follows:

AXDA1700DL3TC 9391567250127
JIUHB 0310 WPMW

on a brown substrate.

any good?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yes - the dl3tc's are the best clockers

the mushkin is good ram - i forget hat chips it uses but maybe a bumb in volts would help

no point running a divider it will kill your performance

Associate
its at 2.9Vs already :( and no divider works bar 1:1 theoretically it shouldnt kill performance, or are these nforce 2 chipsets not as effiecent as the 4's?

EDIT: bearing in mind this ram wont do its rated speed of 200mhz @ 2-2-2-6

best i can get it to is 2-3-3-6 @ 2.8v

Last edited:
Soldato
nf2 can be a bit picky with ram. ive got some awesome ram here that wont even do 166fsb in my NF7 yet in an NF4 it will do 250@5222

Soldato
The NF7 like a lot of NF2 Mobos should be able to handle 220FSB, and even 230FSB with little or no work...

After that its going to be flakey, and after about 240 its anyones guess what you will or wont get out of it, and to be honest, I think its all down to pure luck after that...

One thing I read abotu not all that long ago, is that crucial budget range of RAM sticks, were actually re-badged ballistix RAM... Only some, not all... I went to check mine out, and sure enough, they had the G on, which meant they were Ballistix, and had a play to see where I could go... I hit 238 on stock volts.

Needless to say I got a few more sticks, and some were, and some were not, soem were double sided, some single but also some were sort of a staggered single-double sided thingy, but I ended up with 2 matching pairs that could beat 230FSB dual channel with stock volts. I did read that they were capable of over 260FSB FFS but I myself could not get over 250 and have a stable desktop... most of the time it failed to boot fully, but at least it started up 100% so it was sooooo Close!

Agreed on the picky-ness of the NF2 Boards.

I got 2 MSI Deltas here.. No, thats a lie, I have one left now. The original Delta L which was a real little darling, seemed to be so flexible with the RAM, and the crucial was fine to about 234, the Corsair XMS3500 was good to 240 and this was about the Mobos max I think ( Unless I am confusing it? ) and anyway, I recently got another MSI Delta assuming it was the very same, but this one is a fart... It cannot even go over 186 FSB with Kingston 3200 and yet, can hit 200FSB with cheap and nasty VData 166 RAM ( Go figure? )

I have also found that NF3 boards can be a lot more picky that NF2 Ones, or at least in my experience anyway???

For example, the MSI Neo2 Platinum was fine with Corsair XMS 4400 TwinX

I got some more of that RAM for the DFI LP 250UT, and it turned up and it was Platinum, not TwinX, even though they are seemingly 100% identical??

Now, the DFI was buggy and farted and spat at me with the Platinum, and cutting a long one short, Itried the Platinum in the MSI and the TwinX in the DFI and they ran just fine.???

So, according to the specs ratings and all the usual polava, they are all 100% identical apart from the TwinX being Black and the Platinum being Silver, but the DFI does not want to know the Platinum, only the TwinX and the MSI dopes not care which one is which?

Oh, the DFI is also good to go with OCZ and Geil RAM too by the way.

However, back to NF2, at stock, there isnt a single stick of RAM that I have, and I have a lot, that failed to work in the NF2 boards, so on that score, I would say that NF2 are a lot more forgiving than 754 and 939

Soldato
i think UTT chips are notorious on some boards for not working in nf2, which is a shame, cos they can be got cheap and they are the same as OCX vx

Soldato
Since we're on the subject anyway, would anyone know if the volt mod thing works on a MSI nforce 2 motherboard. N7GM2 I think it is.

This board doesnt have an AGP lock even so raising the FSB (which is an option in the bios) is not an option, it just doesnt work. I was hoping to plonk a dltc chip in there for some ghetto overclocking. Changing the motherboard isnt an option since this is not mine exactly but its a bit slow with just a 2400+ at present.

Ive never had to use the volt mod before so no idea about it

Soldato
Yea I think thats the one. I thought the volt mod might have the processor recognised as a 200fsb one. This board can handle a higher fsb but it doesnt have the lock so I want to take the 133fsb thoroughbred and have it at 200fsb or 166 even. Does that make sense ?

Back
Top Bottom