• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dual-core opterons question.

Associate
I want to get a dual-core CPU to replace my Winchester 3200+ and i was thinking of the X2 3800+ or either a dual-core Opteron. I have seen that the Opterons use a 2MB L2 cache. Is that shared or is it 2MB for each core and does it make a big impact on performance?
Another thing is the inability to put 4 memory sticks with my current CPU due to the memory controller of my Winchester. Does the San Diego core featured on the Opterons solve this or shall i need to go for an X2 to get around this?

Thanks a lot.

Don
The Opteron dual cores have 2x1MB cores as per other Toledo cores. The 3800 has 2x512KB.

You will be able to use 4 double sided sticks with the Opterons but at 2T timings only (probably - you might get 1T if you have a good MB and are lucky). This is no different to the X2s.

Jokester

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I shall take my chances for 1T and get the X2 which is cheaper and comes in OEM. How far can these babies go? 2.5Ghz on air? I have a Freezer 64 cooler.

Caporegime
I had a toledo x2 3800 and it needed 1.5v to be prime stable on air at 2.6ghz.

my current opty 170 runs at 2.7 ghz stock vcore 1.3v or 2.8ghz on 1.375v

With more vcore means more heat.
Just something to bear in mind.

Back
Top Bottom