• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 7800gt?? Quiet, Cheap and Overclockable!

Soldato
Well. Im wondering which 7800gt I want to get as there are soo many. I need it to be quiet as the main thing, the price has got to be cheap. Doesnt matter if its like £15 over the cheapest one. And then I will overclock later so thats the last priority

Thanks

Soldato
Most 7800GT cards use a referance cooler so not much differance there.
Some 7800GT cards have been found to run fairly noisy (luck of the draw as to which you get. because cards from the same manufacturer have been quiet & some loud - search this forum, as some people have posted about it).

Cheapest 7800GT is OcUK GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-032-OK) £193.82

However if you dont mind paying a bit more you could get this card which is often faster than a 7800GTX ..
Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO) £234.94
I believe its the best bang per buck card at present.

As for overclocking - look here ..
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17539495&page=2&pp=30

Last edited:
Associate
There is not a lot to choose between the 7800gts other than price. They are great cards too, but as ACESHIGH says, the X1800XT for 40 quid more is a far better buy; though i have no idea what it is like for noise. I certianly know that my leadtek 7800gt is no Silent Bob, but frankly it's not too loaud either.

Soldato
unfortunately I got one of the loud XFX 7800GT's with the black pcb, only way was to replace the fan with a much quieter Zalman fan.

Associate
got a leadtek, it wasnt loud but I bought a zalman with it so no idea what it was like for along period of time. The leadtek has a good bundle btw and mines managed to clock to 490/1.2ghz :D

Associate
salami1212 said:
that looks tempting! but I dont really know anything about ati.

edit: another thing, is the graphic card quiet??

i would go for the x1800xt and you can use the ati tool (i think) to slow down the fan when your not gaming which would eliminate a lot of the noise. also all you need to know about ati is they make graphics cards and the x1800xt is a lot faster than the gt also the ati is a veryt good overclocker

Back
Top Bottom