Mouse mats

Soldato
I have searched, but I get soo many different opinions, so I wanted to create a poll, but I can't do that. :(

I have decided on the mouse, a MX518. It will be used for gaming, photoshop and 3d modeling.

How important is a mouse mat?

From what I have gathered, cloth mats are the best, but which ones are better than others? I like to have a bit of grip on one, but it to slide smoothly when playing CS.

Thanks, Trif.

Associate
Icemat V2.

No complaints with mine at all; the sound used to bother me, but I'm used to it now, and it isn't much louder than plastic mousemats. :)

Soldato
The S&S Steelpad is good, i got it in a bundle with my MX510 (nearly the same as the MX518) and they're great together ;)

It's cheaper than many of the other ones as well.

Associate
I use an MX510 on an Icemat. Though I do often replace the feet with new Teflon tape. The tape came with the Icemat.

Though it will work well on many surfaces. Best thing is to experiment. Find what is best for you. I have spent the weekend using the mouse on the wooden table as my mat was still in the LAN bag. Didn't really notice the difference. :)

Soldato
EYEPAD's are good and pretty cheap i think the everglide cloth pads are very similar to the EYEPAD but more expensive, you cant go wrong with cloth really.

Mark

Associate
MAllen said:
I use an MX510 on an Icemat. Though I do often replace the feet with new Teflon tape. The tape came with the Icemat.

I've got the same combination here. Works great, and I love it. :)

Soldato
OP
Do I need a mat though? What improvements will I get with it?

My current mouse is really annoying when doing precision work in photoshop, I can't follow a curved line that I drew by hand on PS. :mad: [/rant]

Also, between the MX518 and the Razer diamondback - which one? My hands mold better to bigger controllers, so I assume I should go with the Mx518?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a QPad XXXL with a Razer Diamondback atm and it's really comfortable, very responsive and easy to clean :)

I had a Steelpad 4S(metal)

here's an image of my Steelpad 4S after 6months of use:

Given my steel one lasted 6months I wouldn't expect the plastic(S&S) one to last any longer, if anything it would wear out a lot quicker :confused:

My steelpad wore out about 6 or 7 sets of teflon in 6months of use aswell as wearing down itself :( was very hard and a bit unconfortable(I guess any hard mat would be the same), compared to something like qpad/everglide titan etc.

Soldato
Trifid said:

My current mouse is really annoying when doing precision work in photoshop, I can't follow a curved line that I drew by hand on PS. :mad: [/rant]

Also, between the MX518 and the Razer diamondback - which one? My hands mold better to bigger controllers, so I assume I should go with the Mx518?
I had a MX500 for a while before I got my diamondback and the size was pretty nice, I like the big xbox controller rather than the small one.
But now I've moved onto my diamondback I'm a lot more happier, very nice and ergonomic. Very responsive aswell :) I use it in photoshop without problems.

If you're looking for a new mouse there's a not too old thread here

Soldato
OP
How well do these mouse's work on wooden surfaces though. As I am meant to be saving up atm so I want to do this on a budget.

That mat is very worn there Mortals.

Caporegime
mortals said:
I have a QPad XXXL with a Razer Diamondback atm and it's really comfortable, very responsive and easy to clean :)

I had a Steelpad 4S(metal)

here's an image of my Steelpad 4S after 6months of use:

Given my steel one lasted 6months I wouldn't expect the plastic(S&S) one to last any longer, if anything it would wear out a lot quicker :confused:

My steelpad wore out about 6 or 7 sets of teflon in 6months of use aswell as wearing down itself :( was very hard and a bit unconfortable(I guess any hard mat would be the same), compared to something like qpad/everglide titan etc.
Ive had my S&S since April and its not even slightly looking worn out considering Im quite a gamer (10hrs a week minimum) - much more better quality than the other Steelpad series...

Actually looking at it, it still looks brand new - only thing that shows its ages is that the gripping stuff on the back kinda balls together and fall off in tiny bits occasionally...

Great pad - highly recommend it - bargain considering I paid £20+ for mine...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Trifid said:

If you're serious about Photoshop work then get a Wacom tablet instead - you'll never be totally accurate with any mouse/pad combo, although an MX518 and a good pad should be an improvement over what you currently have.

Associate
Trifid said:
How well do these mouse's work on wooden surfaces though.
Yes - the MX510's work well on the wooden desktop. I was runing mine on the wooden desk without trouble for a few days. (Left my Icemat round at a mate's house).

Beware of deep layers of varnish though as this will confuse the sensor. Try using one of these mice on a glass table.... they tend to get a little confused. LOL.

Noting the wear and tear on the pads above, my two year old Icemat is still looking like new. I replace the Teflon feet roughly every six months.

And I will second the Wacom suggestion for Photoshop work. Well worth saving up for one of these to use along side your mouse. A pen is so much more natural to use in Photoshop. Though I have an artist friend of mine who swears by his old Logitech Trackball.

Soldato
OP
Thatks for the help. I have ordered the MX518. I will get a mat later on from a certain bay, for cheapness if there is anything good on there.

I was talking to a friend who does amazing art work, and he swears to his pad, but the price of a good one is too much atm. especially when I am only doing some light skinning of cars.

Soldato
ill highly recommend the DKT mat, i play css at a fairly high level (some fancy sponsors like logitech/sennheiser etc) and one of the best changes i made with my setup was changing from an icemat to a DKT

Back
Top Bottom