HDMI and Telewest TVDrive

Associate
Hi Guys,

Not sure if anyone will be able to help with this or not but thought this looked like the best place to ask.

I am getting upgraded to Telewests TVDrive box which is also HDTV ready- I know they dont have much on there in Hi def at present but was looking to get a new TV anyway.

According to Telewest's web site:-
What do I need to watch High Definition TV?
To watch high definition you’ll need a HD set top box (like TVDrive) and a HD ready television with a HDMI socket. TVDrive enables you to watch high definition programmes if you have a HD ready TV.

Now I have been looking at some LCD TV's and was really wanting to go for a 23" Widscreen model but I dont seem to be able to find any that have an HDMI socket. Have found a few that say they support HDTV through DVI.

The two that I was thinking about are the Philips 23PF5320 23" HDTV-Ready LCD Television and the Samsung LE23R41B 23" 16:9 LCD TV.

Was just wondering if any of you guys know of any other models or makes that I should look at. I was wanting to keep the budget to around £500.

The only TV's I have found with HDMI sockets are all 26" models that are over my budget and a little larger than I was looking to get.

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated as I seem to have gotten myself completley confused about HD side of things.

Thanks

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
There is no difference in quality between the two connections its just hdmi carrys the sound and dvi doesnt im useing that exact lead from my hdmi dvd player to my lcd tvs dvi input.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the look of the LG one. Will need to have a look around and have a think. I havent really found any good sites that have LCD TV reviews so not found any reviews of any of these TV's.

Associate
OP
Hi again guys,
Been loking into this further and i think i have got my head round this now.

The TVdrive has a HDMI slot on it but the LCD TV I am looking at doesn't. It does have a DVI-I socket which supports HDCP.

So if i use the following cable HDMI to DVI-I along with L & R audio cable every thing should work fine?

Would appreciate it if someone can have a look for me and confirm if I have got this correct or not

Associate
OP
thanks for your help with this peahead. i started off thinking i knew what i was looking for and ended up totaly lost.
know i can buy happy in the knowledge that it will all work ook.
thanks again

Associate
have a look on AVforums too. some people are reporting getting a black bar down the LHS of the screen using the DVI input. It may also be possible to use component now too where originally, the box was going to output in HDMI only.

Im getting it installed on the 15th so ill give some feedback then. I will be using my Samsung LE32 connected via the HDMI input

Associate
OP
I will have a look at the other forums. My install is down for 2nd March but it will just be getting used on my normal CRT at the moment so I wont be using the HDMI port so i would appreciate you posting your feedback once you get yours installed as I wont be geting my LCD for a month or two.
Just want to make sure that if I'm getting a new Tv that i get one that works and I dont really want one as large as 26" which seems to be starting size for LCD's with a dedicated HDMI port.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom