Road Trip Europe! Suggestions!

Permabanned
Hi all, just planning, although the date is a way off yet, a roadtrip through Europe over a 2 week period.

Starting off in Cherbourg, we are aiming to travel down the WC of France cut along the south up to Monaco, then down the west side of Italy and back up the East, then through Austria, Germany, and either Lux or Belg back to France then home.

I was just wondering if anybody had done something similar or if you could recommend places of interest, cities to visit other than the major ones (Rome, etc) for the trip.

I've heard of a place (route) called Romantic Road in Germany which I'd really like to do. Do any of you know where this is!?

Thanks for your suggestions guys

;)

Soldato
not really similar to your idea, but a few of us from the motors forum went on a roadtrip in august. went to bologn from dover, drove up through france holland belgium into germany, spent a few days in nurburg, and then down into switzerland via koln. Switzerland is an absolutely gorgeous place but not cheap, I wouldn't miss it out on the way up :)

We had gone mainly for the nurburgring though, so turned back round and went back the same way we came, stopping in nurburg again.

Tom.

Soldato
is this you and some lads, or you and the girl?

also seems like a lot of miles for two weeks. i went last year down through france to the south (straight down, not via the west coast) northern italy then back through the alps and back home. that was quite a lot of driving as it was. also that was in M5, so dont know what car you will be taking, but the M5 made it quite easy as its a good cruiser. it would be harder worker in most other cars. :)

Permabanned
OP
Thanks guys....car of choice is 330d so no problems there, and with 550 miles to a tank on the motorway can easily do the distance. Full EU Breakdown cover essential I suppose? (Depends how much you trust your car!)

Any other ideas?

Dangerous, did you mean what you said 'if you DONT plan it to the T, works out very well'? I'm :confused:.....

PS, me and my girl

Soldato
i wouldnt try to do so many miles tbh. i did 2000 miles in that trip and wouldnt want to do any more.

we (me & gf) went to chablis, beach resort near nice, monaco, tuscany, florence, pisa & chamonix (town in front of mont blanc)

i had full breakdown as part of BMW warranty. probably recommended though as towing your car from say rome to UK probably costs some ridiculous amount.

Soldato
mine was roughly planned, but only some of the hotels were booked. its nice to be able to just decided when and where to go at any old time.

get rought guides for countries you are going to. helps with lists of things to do and places to stay etc. :)

Soldato
Another vote for the lack of planning option here. Not done a big Europe trip but we did a couple of weeks on the west coast of the States and just winged it completely. Booked the flights and the hire car and nothing else, each day we'd find somewhere to stay and then work out where we were going the next day, worked out superbly and adds to the sense of adventure.

Of course we had some idea of places we were going, we just didn't plot out an itinerary of where we'd be and when or where we were going to stay.

Back
Top Bottom