Just got into taking pictures

Soldato
just got a new camera for £45 on special offer and have been taking pictures of my farm and have gotten really into it :)

i took this picture and thought it looked rather nice..

treesky3qq.jpg

what do you all think? :) its re-sized obviously but i really like it, in fact im quite proud :D

naffa

Soldato
That's a very nicely composed photo there, shame about the telegraph wires in the top left, but they should be able to be cloned out, very good shot from a camera for £45! :)

Soldato
Lovely photograph, intentionally or not, you've followed the rule of thirds - which dictates that you should place your main subject so that it occupies one third of the image (in your case the tree which occupies the right third, and the horizon of trees which fill up the bottom third).

You've also got a nice straight horizon, which is a great start and you've also cleverly utilized "metering" which is where you've metered from the sky and therefore the camera will expose the photo for that, and not the foreground detail (the tree) thus sillhouetting the tree.

A little pointer - make sure you scan your viewfinder / LCD screen before you take the shot and check each edge of the shot - you'll see here that you've got three electricity lines in the top right hand corner and you could probably have done with getting them out of the frame. But that's only a small tip for the future.

Top shot - keep them coming :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nice photo, good composition and a nice scene. However a few tweaks in PS would make it better.

Such as: (annoyingly mine looks slightly oversharpened. Probably due to the noise removal making it very soft.)

treesky3qq5tq.jpg

Compared to:

treesky3qq.jpg

Associate
I agree - nice photo.

xolotl - I think that some PS work helps but feel that the sky looks a little too over-processed in your version.

Here's mine (naffa - hope you don't mind - I'll remove it if you want me to)
naffasky.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
xolotl - I think that some PS work helps but feel that the sky looks a little too over-processed in your version.

Its not over processed as such, its just the processing has messed it up (well that wasn't contradictory ¬_¬).

One of the primary problems with cheap cameras (and Nikons) is noise, the original picture was pretty noisy so I ran some quite severe reduction on it, this has the annoying habit of making the picture soft and loosing detail. Thus it needed sharpening a lot. After the poor photo had been through this it does look abit worse for wear.

I also took out the airplane trail in the trees.

Looking at your version the noise is still present but so is the detail. Its a lose lose situation that you have to decide over with cheaper cameras.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ah kool :) im not too good with editing photos so you guys have done a bang up job :)

do you use Adobe Photoshop? im using Fireworks atm and find its not the best for photo editing, but is rather good for web graphics.

i didnt realise you would actually be able to make it look as though the lines were not there, i thought a bit of cropping may have been in order, but that looks superb :)

thanks for your edits and inputs.

Associate
Photoshop is widely considered to be the best photographic manipulation program, but is a tad on the pricy side. You can get Photoshop Elements for a reasonable sum though. I think that it is onto version 4 now, but 3 is pretty good. It is essentially a slightly stripped-down version of PS, aimed at home-users

Associate
the blacks need a little blackening, and the telegraph wires aren't doing it any favours, but otherwise I really like this shot.
The noise isn't too intrusive, and it looks read me when filtered, so I'd keep the noise.

A very nice shot. Keep em' coming!

Back
Top Bottom