Metal music nowadays?

Soldato
I haven't checked up on the latest stuff or read Terrorizer in a while, so what bands can any of you metal heads recommend? I like some pretty heavy stuff á la Pig Destroyer, Nasum, Agoraphobic Nosebleed as well as Chimaira, Mastodon, Speedhorn, Throwdown, could go on...

Anyway, basically i want some heavier metal recommendations; nothing akin to Bullet for my Valentine or anything EMO related if you catch my drift. :D

Permabanned
Children of Bodom - Probably the best 'modern' metal band, IMO.

In particular their album 'Hatebreeder'. Every damn song on that album is a masterpiece.

Associate
Ive been a Children of Bodom fan for about 5 years now!

The new album, Are You Dead Yet, is pretty damn good and quite different from previous stuff.

Fave song of all time by COB has to be Downfall though. Its this tune that got me into them.

Associate
Dark Funeral - Attera Totus Sanctus
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Darkane - Layer of lies
Naglfar - Phariah

All fairly recent albums. Don't get any heavier than that with the exception of anaal nathrakh, mortician and merzbow of course :)

Soldato
Akercocke, Abigor, Immortal Soul, Iced Earth (Slightly lighter but still good) Killswitch engage (also kinda light I guess, same as Trivium).

I_Am_Vengeance said:
All fairly recent albums. Don't get any heavier than that with the exception of anaal nathrakh, mortician and merzbow of course :)
I recently found a song by Anaal Nathrakh and really liked it. But I've not found anywhere that sells their album. :( How could I have missed out merzbow!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Moredhel said:
Akercocke, Abigor, Immortal Soul, Iced Earth (Slightly lighter but still good) Killswitch engage (also kinda light I guess, same as Trivium).

I recently found a song by Anaal Nathrakh and really liked it. But I've not found anywhere that sells their album. :( How could I have missed out merzbow!

Funny you should say Akercocke, i used to live with the lead singers girlfriend. He's a sound guy, knows what he's talking about. :)

Good to see some metal heads around, however can we scrap black/death/satanic metal please. :D

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
mmmm, Will Haven. not exactly current but they're my favourite. Might have to check some of these bands out though.

Permabanned
Murder One
Charger
Mínus (first two albums - Hey Johnny and Jesus Christ Bobby)
My War
Decapitated (not that heavy, really...but so tight)
G.U.Medicine

*n

Soldato
penski said:
Mínus (first two albums - Hey Johnny and Jesus Christ Bobby)
*n

I guess then that you prefer those two to Halldor Laxness. What d'you think of that album because it's pretty different to the first two?

Soldato
OP
Awesome penski, i adore Murder One (as well as Medulla Nochte) and my guitarist is totally in love with Charger. Will look into Minus, My War, Decapitated and G.U. Medicine.

You know what man, totally off-topic, but sometimes it just saddens me that a lot of people don't listen too the aforementioned heavy music. It's not that i want everyone to start listening to brutal music (each to their own and stuff), it's just that feeling I get when i hear something tight and brutal and ya just go, HELLS F'IN YEAH! I want EVERYONE to feel that man. That feeling is awesome!

Permabanned
Carzy said:
I guess then that you prefer those two to Halldor Laxness. What d'you think of that album because it's pretty different to the first two?

I prefer Hálldor Laxness. It's one of the finest rock albums of all time in my view...And still has riffs that are so heavy they are banned in California.

But the guy asked for Grr. Arrr. Metuurrrl.

The Jet - My War was Jonny Morrow's post-Iron Monkey, pre-Murder One project (inbetween hiphop DJ stuff)

I agree completely about the brutality thing - it's addictive.

Luckily my neighbour encourages me to play Carcass, Charger, Medulla and so on at spleen-rupturing volumes.

*n

Soldato
penski said:
I prefer Hálldor Laxness. It's one of the finest rock albums of all time in my view...And still has riffs that are so heavy they are banned in California.

*n

Yep, it's so good! I love "My Name Is Cocaine", "Boys Of Winter", and "The Long Face". Such a good album, and they are damn cool live aswell.

/me puts on Minus now :)

Back
Top Bottom