I think I got caught by the SCP

Soldato
Evening all,

On the A74(M) today, I was driving north. The van was positioned above the fast lane of the Southbound carriageway. There appeared to be black panels on both sides of the van. I was going about 85-90 in the centre lane of the north carriageway. I didn't brake suddenly because I didn't realise I was speeding until I looked at the speedometer, obviously I regret this.

Would the van usually position itself above the carriageway that it was observing or would they observe at an angle? Is the camera forward facing or rearward facing (i.e. does it catch cars coming towards it or driving away from it?).

Do they take into account the fact that there was very little traffic, dry road and perfect visibility or are they likely to just stick to the 10% + 2mph rule and give a ticket to everyone going above 79mph?

Any good websites to look at?

Many Thanks,

Sam

Soldato
laissez-faire said:
Evening all,

On the A74(M) today, I was driving north. The van was positioned above the fast lane of the Southbound carriageway. There appeared to be black panels on both sides of the van. I was going about 85-90 in the centre lane of the north carriageway. I didn't brake suddenly because I didn't realise I was speeding until I looked at the speedometer, obviously I regret this.

Would the van usually position itself above the carriageway that it was observing or would they observe at an angle? Is the camera forward facing or rearward facing (i.e. does it catch cars coming towards it or driving away from it?).

Do they take into account the fact that there was very little traffic, dry road and perfect visibility or are they likely to just stick to the 10% + 2mph rule and give a ticket to everyone going above 79mph?

Any good websites to look at?

Many Thanks,

Sam
if it was a camera van then they have you and almost certainly WILL take action.
the speed+10%+2MPH "rule" you mention isn't a rule at all,it's home office guidelines that some forces take no notice of at all.

Soldato
Good to see police doing what they do best! Catching civilians going a tad fast on empty roads, forget the old lady being robbed theres no money in it! :rolleyes:

Soldato
zain said:
Good to see police doing what they do best! Catching civilians going a tad fast on empty roads, forget the old lady being robbed theres no money in it! :rolleyes:

Talking about the money making aspect.....i was driving back to uni today along the A44 (maybe the A40, i dont know...) and on my way i went past 3 camera vans but they were all on the other side of the carriageway. Bit odd, i thought. When i get to uni my housemate reminded me that it was the Carling Cup final in Cardiff and they were probably trying to catch all the Utd fans coming down from Manchester (pretty sure thats the road they'll use to get onto the M4 too....)

Arc

Arc

Associate
To my knowledge the vans up here normally sit on the same side as the carriageway their monitoring.

Conditions dont come into it either, only your speed.

Soldato
You might be ok, depends on the officer on the day, and how much your speedo over reads by.

A guy who works in one of the scamera vans once told me that his personal approach was to not even think about doing someone for anything less than 90. Whether this is true or not I have no idea but I can't see why he would tell porkies tbh.

Personally i'll quite happily cruise past them at up to an indicated 80mph (up to actual 75mph acording to GPS)

Soldato
lordrobs said:
A guy who works in one of the scamera vans once told me that his personal approach was to not even think about doing someone for anything less than 90. Whether this is true or not I have no idea but I can't see why he would tell porkies tbh.
don't forget we're talking about a different country here.
legally speaking,England and Scotland are a long way from being similar.

Back
Top Bottom