Hardware Firewalls - Sonicwall

Soldato
After reading some advice given here previously, I'm looking at a hardware firewall for one or more colocated servers. It seems I also need a switch as each server typically requires three ports, one for the remote access controller, and one each for dual NICs. After some research I found the Sonicwall Pro 1260 device:

http://www.sonicwall.com/products/pro1260.html

It integrates a 24 port switch with a firewall all in a 1u package which looks pretty much ideal and is a bargain at around £675 + VAT. It gets good reviews and seems to be only limited by its throughput but as I'm only on a 10Mb line it's hardly important.

Before I go ahead and purchase one the question is, has anyone got any good/bad experience of these firewalls ?

Soldato
I have a 4060 at work and apart from a few niggling problems with the security features (GAV, IPS, spyware prevention) stopping some ligitimate downloads and other services I haven't really found any problems at all. We have been running Sonic wall for the last few years and have never had any serious problems with the hardware and touch wood, no hacking.

Customer support is good too which is a bonus.

Soldato
OP
Well that does sound promising then :)

I just don't understand why more firewalls don't include a 24 port switch or vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom