Laptop questions

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have some questions about my HP zv6000 laptop.

I want to upgrade the memory from 512MB to 1GB. However, when I removed the old chip it says it is only 256MB. So my first thought was that there was some memory onboard somewhere. I only see one slot for memory so unless the other one is hidden somewhere I dont know where the second one would be.

Also, when I go to My Computer properties it says my computer speed is 995Mhz. Well, I have an AMD Athlon 64 so I am pretty sure its over 1Gb. So I went into the BIOS and had a look and sure enough its says its 2000MHz. So what speed is my computer running at? It doesnt seem to be running slow and I play WoW online without any unusual lag.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Associate
Some laptops have a predefined amount of memory as a minimum (like 256MB) with only one user-accessible slot. The built-in memory is likely to be connected to an identical slot to the one you found but is placed somewhere hidden (probably on the other side of the motherboard under the keyboard). Either get a 512MB stick for 768MB total or else a 1GB stick for 1280MB. I wouldn't bother trying to replace the built-in memory unless you are desparate to.

As for the processor speed, the mobile processors (Pentium M and Turion) will clock down and run on a reduced voltage when they are not needed (idle machine) so as to reduce power consumtion and heat production. It is normal (exactly the same as AMD's Cool 'n Quiet on desktop A64's). Run a CPU benchmark and whilst it is running go into the system properties. It will show the full 2GHz then (at least when on AC power).

Hope this helps,

Martin

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Mole said:
Some laptops have a predefined amount of memory as a minimum (like 256MB) with only one user-accessible slot. The built-in memory is likely to be connected to an identical slot to the one you found but is placed somewhere hidden (probably on the other side of the motherboard under the keyboard). Either get a 512MB stick for 768MB total or else a 1GB stick for 1280MB. I wouldn't bother trying to replace the built-in memory unless you are desparate to.

As for the processor speed, the mobile processors (Pentium M and Turion) will clock down and run on a reduced voltage when they are not needed (idle machine) so as to reduce power consumtion and heat production. It is normal (exactly the same as AMD's Cool 'n Quiet on desktop A64's). Run a CPU benchmark and whilst it is running go into the system properties. It will show the full 2GHz then (at least when on AC power).

Hope this helps,

Martin

Yes, its helps out tons and makes perfect sense.

I am just going to get a gig stick then.

Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom