Is it possible to upgrade from XP Home to MCE 2005 without wiping pc ?

Associate
As per title can I "upgrade" from XP Home SP2 to Media Centre 2005 by installing over the top of XP Home ?

I just want to be able to use the Media Centre Features for streaming video to my xbox 360 but I dont want the hassle of backing up every last bit of data and installing from fresh if I can get away with upgrading.

MCE 2005 is just XP Pro anyway but I want to make sure before I try it :D

And yes I am fully aware its not the best way to switch o.s. so no need for any commnets thanks.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers.
B.

Soldato
Totally possible.
Do a repair install over the top & you should be good to go. (Done this from XP Home==> Pro)
Obviously you will need to re-apply all hotfixes etc, but this should fix you up.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Soldato
I doubt it will work in this case - I dont think MCE asks for the second disk during a repair (not containing any of the core operating system).

Associate
Its not possible.

If you do it it will maybe upgrade you to pro, but you will not have MCE on your computer at the end - The new theme won't be there, and the media centre won't be there.

You don't need to wipe the whole computer just make a partition for it - or when installing use the same partition and tell it to delete the previous copy of window s installed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Otacon said:
I doubt it will work in this case - I dont think MCE asks for the second disk during a repair (not containing any of the core operating system).
Hmm.
In that case you want BartPE or similar :)- Slipstream the MCE components into the first disk (I would think you'll need to use a DVD or delete some components to make it fit on a CD), and then upgrade with that.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Soldato
Well, that can be done yes, but not by traditional slipstream methods. You can copy the MediaCTR.cab to the root of CD1, and alter txtsetup.sif to remove any reference of %cd2name% and replace them with %cdname%.

I still wouldn't like to try it though. Changing OS shouldnt be, and isn't a big task these days if you put a bit of thought into it.

Associate
First you need the Media Center (MEDIACTR.CAB) cab file
The following instructions also involve installing tablet and plus aswell.
Go the information off www.msfn.com forums and it does work

1.Install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0
Install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0.3705 and It's SP3.

2.modify registry
Open regedit.exe, goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA, create 2 keys named “MediaCenter” and “TabletPC”. Create DWORD Value named “Installed” in these 2 keys and valued “1”.
“Installed” value in “MediaCenter” of Vol XP OS must be String Value but DWORD value. And “Installed” value in both “MediaCenter” and “TabletPC” key in all server 2003 OS must be string values. Because there are no WinXP MCE VOL and Win 2003 MCE&TPC versions. You can’t login if these values are DWORD!
If there is “Installed” valued “0” in “MediaCenter” in your Windows XP, you can not modify it in current OS.you must use “load HIVE” function in other OS like this: Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. From the File menu, choose Load Hive, Navigate to the registry location on your OS such as c:\windows\system32\config\system,name it “temp”.after you modified the value to “1”,click temp,choose “unload HIVE” to save it.

3.install Media Center and Tablet PC Components
Get medctroc.inf, tabletpc.inf, plusoc.inf, sonic.inf (Get them at Post #40),copy them to C:\windows\inf\,then Run following commands to install MCE2005 and TPC2005 components.
Format:rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection < section > 128 <INF filename>
(NOTE: Capital sensitive for “InstallHinfSection” and there are 4 blanks)

Install Media Center (MEDIACTR.CAB)
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection Freestyle 128 medctroc.inf

install Windows Digital Media Enhancement (plus.cab)
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusGold 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusSpac 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusDavn 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusNatr 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusMpix 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusDancer 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusParty 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusAudio 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusCDLM 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusTheme 128 plusoc.inf

install Tablet PC 2005
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection TPG 128 tabletpc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection System 128 tabletpc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection OOBE 128 tabletpc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection Notebook 128 tabletpc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection StickyNotes 128 tabletpc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection AllShortcuts 128 tabletpc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection SRInstall 128 tabletpc.inf
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection AllReg 128 tabletpc.inf

Sonic DVD and CD Burning (sonic.cab)
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection SonicDVDandCDBurning 128 sonic.inf

4.fix Tablet PC input panel and screen keyboard
Download Copy2gac.exe tool, expand it into C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705.open command prompt, run [C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Copy2Gac.exe /i /a /p:"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\1.7\"],if prompt “Installed 5 Assemblies into GAC.”,this step is success.

Back
Top Bottom