First OC, please have a look!

Associate
You may of seen my post in the last few days asking for advice on my first OC attempt, I have taken some screenies from CPU-Z and was wondering if people can have a look at them and see if they think there is anything that should be changed or tweaked, please note I have not touched my RAM timing settings as I do not have a clue so any advice in that area would be greatly appreciated.

AMD 64 Venice 3000+ (clocked to 3800+)
Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI
2Gb Corsair DDR PC3200 RAM
Sapphire ATI X800XT

Especially requesting a look in from Cavemanoc as you helped me out and were very understanding of my noobiness and the terminology problems I was having with my boards BIOS

CPUZ1.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]

CPUZ2.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]

CPUZ3.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers

Associate
Looks ok to me, could try tightening the memory timings and then test for stability with memtest86+ and prime95.

Try setting Cas# Latency to 2.5 and see what happens.

Associate
OP
Ok as suggested, I have now put the latency to 2.5, ran 1 full test on memtest86 and it passed without error. Is there anything else you would change?

Defcon/Dutchguy - I have now lowered my voltage and CPU-Z shows it as 1.392v, to test stability I have mainly been using prime95 and memtest86, have yet to set it off on a full 24hr prime95 cycle as I have not yet had the chance to do so but have had it running for around 8hrs without error.

No I have not hit any limits yet but am comfortable with the OC, I know when to not try and push my luck ;) although may try to get it to 4000+ level at some point.

Thanks for the advice.... keep it coming :)

Associate
hey

Hey Chris, nice to see another noob starting out, althought your efforts far surpase mine.
I've also got the amd64 3000+ venice core, but I found it all went a bit unstable after taking the HTT above 244, even with an increase in the V core.
When I say unstable, I mean after a prolong COD2 session, i would get random reboots.

Have you altered the cooling? I'm just using the stock AMD heatsink at the moment, but I'm looking at the CoolRiver Complete water cooler Deluxe Version (VGA/N.Bridge/CPU) using 120mm + Fan Cont.

Anybody had any experience with this kit?

Regards,

Monkey :)

Soldato
you could try running the ram on the next divider down, and having tighter timmings on it, then also incrase the fsb to get the speed up to 2.5 or 2.6 may also need to increase the voltage to around 1.5V. depending on temps that are seen i would push a bit higher as you seem to have a nice clocking A643000+.

Associate
iraiguana said:
you could try running the ram on the next divider down, and having tighter timmings on it, then also incrase the fsb to get the speed up to 2.5 or 2.6 may also need to increase the voltage to around 1.5V. depending on temps that are seen i would push a bit higher as you seem to have a nice clocking A643000+.

Stick ram on a divider and run tighhter timings. Also one loop of memtest is not enough to check memory. Ideally leave it on overnight or for a quick check run 8 loops of test 8 only. By what most people get with the 3000 you should be able to get higher than 2.4 by just raising the fsb, but you need to run memory on a divider so as not to make system unstable at high fsb's

Associate
OP
Hello CSMonkey, to answer your question I'm still using the AMD stock cooler, although I have 2 x 80mm and 1 x 120mm Amberlight casefans circulating the air..... although I am thinking of upgrading to a Zalman cooler just to be on the safe side.

My divider at the mo is currently set to 166, I'm a bit unsure of messing with my timings as like I mentioned I dont have the foggiest clue what I'm doing so unless someone would be kind enough to go into exact detail on what I need to change I'm ver hesitant about doing it as I feel content at the mo!!!

Like I said if anyone wants to be kind enough to be exact about the timing settings then feel free as I will be willing to give it a try :)

Thanks

Soldato
With the timings, the optimum would be 2 2 2 5 1T 1/1 but thats totally unobtainable,

A64s benifit more from lower latencies than bandwidth so try and keep them under 2.5 3 3 6 if possible.

If you come to a choice between slightly lower timings or significantly higher freq do a few benchies to see which is the best for your system

Always use 1t though, this has the most effect, followed by cas latency

Associate
OP
When you say try and keep the timings below 2.5-3-3-6 I take it your referring to the SPD settings you see in CPU-Z, these being;

CAS Latency = 2.5,
RAS# to CAS# = 3,
RAS# Precharge = 3,
TRas# = 6

Excuse me for asking but I just want to be sure, so a good lot of settings would be 2.5-2.5-2.5-5.5 for instance? anything under the numbers you stated?

Cheers

Soldato
SPD settings are the default settings of the sticks and are the settings the mobo will use when you select AUTO or SPD in the BIOS.

This does not mean you can't change them as you can manually change them.

What you can try is 2.5-2-2-7-1T and test with Memtest86+ to see if the RAM is stable, if not increase the memory voltage by 0.1V and try again.

But as your RAM is rated at 3-3-3-8 at 200Mhz you might not be able to run at the timings I mentioned.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm using a divider of 166 at the moment, would you recommed turning it down to 133 before I try these settings? from what I gather memory can be a dodgy area as if it fails it can cause corruption on your HDD, just want to be sure before I start changing :rolleyes:

Thanks

Associate
Dutch Guy said:
But as your RAM is rated at 3-3-3-8 at 200Mhz you might not be able to run at the timings I mentioned.

If the RAM he is using is the Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200 then it is rated for 2-3-3-6

I have the Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro and it runs perfect at 2-3-2-6 and is rated at 2-3-3-6 but the "stock" is 3-3-3-8 in CPUz.

Strange that the SPD is saying its a lot slacker timmings than what its rated at.

Associate
OP
Check the link, I have 2 of these modules installed, no specifics about the memory really and there is very little on the Corsair website.

So as mentioned by Dutch Guy I'm aiming for 2.5-2-2-7-1T, would this give me must have a performance boost as I'm very wary of changing these settings and if there is not going to be much difference I think I could be better just leaving them as they are, I have already set the latency to 2.5 and that seems to be stable..... is it worth going further? is there much risk involved?

Cheers

Associate
By changing the timmings on the RAM worst iv ever seen it do is not boot up right.

You cant CAS2 try for 2-3-3-6 if you can that what they are rated for if they are the

Or atleast latency 2 and slacken on the other timmings.

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX

Associate
OP
Ok I will give that a try tomorrow, can I just confirm;

This is what I should be changing?

Latency - 2
RAS# to CAS# - 3
RAS# Precharge - 3
Tras# - 6

Excuse my noobiness but as mentioned many times this is my first time and want to be sure before I attempt it.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom