• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU operating temperatures

Associate
I think I read somewhere that GPU's can operate at up to 100C :eek:

This is quite a bit hotter than most CPU's run at so I was wondering whether the GPU core would be manufactured in a radically different way to a processor die?

I assume that they are composed of copper like most processors are?
Also, is it true that the GPU core shuts down when dangerous temperatures are reached, say 100C upwards?

I'm just curious :o

Man of Honour
The GPU doesn't shut down as such, it throttles back to allow itself to cool and the temperature threshold on the 6800series cards is set to 120 deg C by Nvidia as standard. I'd be worried at anything significantly over 90 deg C though.

Not sure about the exact composition though, I'd always assumed that the manufacturing process wasn't any majorly different to that of a CPU but I have never looked into it.

Associate
OP
semi-pro waster said:
The GPU doesn't shut down as such, it throttles back to allow itself to cool
That works in a similar way to the Pentiums which also had this safety feature then.

semi-pro waster said:
I'd be worried at anything significantly over 90 deg C though.
It's just that I have overclocked my X850 XT and when fully loaded the GPU temperature gets to around 75C but fortunately doesn't get any hotter than that.
This I assume is okay judging by your comment that a GPU shouldn't go above 90C.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't worry too much about 75 deg C at all, my experience is more with the 6800series but that is still well within acceptable limits from what I know of ATI cards. Maybe an X850 owner will be able to confirm but I'm pretty sure you are absolutely fine with that :)

Soldato
My old 6800NU ran at 103C fine (case with almost no casefans and a lot of dust in the cooler :o )

GPU's can operate at higher temperatures than CPU's, a nVidia card has a throttle temperature of 115C while a CPU throttles well below 100C and becomes unstable a lot sooner.

It's not because a CPU is more complex as GPU's have a lot more transistors than a CPU, it propably has to do with the kind of data both have to proccess and most likely the calculations done by the CPU are more prone to faults :confused:

Associate
OP
Dutch Guy said:
It's not because a CPU is more complex as GPU's have a lot more transistors than a CPU, it propably has to do with the kind of data both have to proccess and most likely the calculations done by the CPU are more prone to faults :confused:
I would have thought that data is data irrespective of whether it's graphics data or program/data data (if you see what I mean :rolleyes: )

Thanks for your feedback though Dutch Guy :)

Soldato
CurlyWhirly said:
I would have thought that data is data irrespective of whether it's graphics data or program/data data (if you see what I mean :rolleyes: )
Perhaps if the CPU makes a faulty calculation it messes up a program but when a GPU makes a faulty calculation all that happens is a pixel that isn't displayed correctly :confused:

Associate
My 6600GT regularly goes up as far as 105C under load - nothing to worry about, as I expect such high temperatures because it's passively cooled.

Associate
OP
Dutch Guy said:
Perhaps if the CPU makes a faulty calculation it messes up a program but when a GPU makes a faulty calculation all that happens is a pixel that isn't displayed correctly :confused:
That makes sense to me.
Thanks.

RichDuffy said:
My 6600GT regularly goes up as far as 105C under load - nothing to worry about
Thanks. I now see that 75C (under load) is nothing to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom