Jobseeker's Allowance

Associate
Am I entitled to this if I am in the selection process for joining the armed forces? Could do with some money to help pay for a few things and rather not get a very short term part-time job instead. I have been working straight for 30 months and I have been out of a job for 2 weeks.

Soldato
People will disagree with it probably, but I have been getting JSA during my application procedure for the RAF, and although I am applying for jobs, it isn't my aim to actually get one. However I will if my application to the RAF fails (obviously). My last job was contract work, and the contract ran out, which is why I am entitled to receive the JSA.
Whenever I've gone to the job centre they haven't even asked to see what jobs I've applied for (I could quite easily not bother) and we just briefly talk about the whole RAF thing, I sign the sheet of paper, and off I go.
By the end of next month I'll know if my RAF dreams are fufilled :)

Soldato
Stringy said:
People will disagree with it probably, but I have been getting JSA during my application procedure for the RAF, and although I am applying for jobs, it isn't my aim to actually get one. However I will if my application to the RAF fails (obviously).
Whenever I've gone to the job centre they haven't even asked to see what jobs I've applied for (I could quite easily not bother) and we just briefly talk about the whole RAF thing, I sign the sheet of paper, and off I go.
By the end of next month I'll know if my RAF dreams are fufilled :)

At the Job Centre I sign on with, you have to write down phone numbers and addresses of the jobs you apply at :/

edit:

Do random checks on people i believe

Soldato
Lt. Manlove said:
I got sacked, unfairly but there isn't much I can do about it.

You may come under this:

Hardship provision

You may be able to get a reduced amount of JSA under the hardship provision. You can do this if your JSA cannot be paid under the normal rules for any of the following reasons:

you are not available for work
you are not actively seeking work
you do not have a Jobseeker's Agreement
there is a doubt about whether any of these apply to you
you unreasonably make yourself unemployed. For example, you leave your job voluntarily without good reason, you lose a job because of misconduct or you turn down a job offer

Soldato
seaviewuk said:
You may come under this:

Hardship provision

You may be able to get a reduced amount of JSA under the hardship provision. You can do this if your JSA cannot be paid under the normal rules for any of the following reasons:

you are not available for work
you are not actively seeking work
you do not have a Jobseeker's Agreement
there is a doubt about whether any of these apply to you
you unreasonably make yourself unemployed. For example, you leave your job voluntarily without good reason, you lose a job because of misconduct or you turn down a job offer

Aye.

I'd go and talk to the Job Centre, they apply different rules in different cases, you may have a valid claim but its only them that will be able to confirm it properly.

MB

Associate
OP
Ok cheers for the advice. I need to pay for an eye-test and travel. (I get the money back on the eye-test but I genuinely have zero money after paying all my bills off)

edit: And it was a member at the AFCO who suggested this.

Soldato
Lt. Manlove said:
Ok cheers for the advice. I need to pay for an eye-test and travel. (I get the money back on the eye-test but I genuinely have zero money after paying all my bills off)

edit: And it was a member at the AFCO who suggested this.

As soon as you are signing on, you get a letter, then you will get your eye test for nothing without paying anything up front, you may have to pay £20/£30 for the lenses as thats what my mum had to do [you do not get this back iirc], I havent had to have an eye test yet

Associate
Lt. Manlove said:
I got sacked, unfairly but there isn't much I can do about it.

They will contact your previous employer and find out why you got sacked. If there is any blame on you which your former employer used to get rid of you, then it will be not available for the first 26 weeks you are registered as Seeking.

Any form of Misconduct applies. Only ways to claim is meant to be if you find youself out of work with no money, through no fault of your own.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom