Vista, Vista, Vista, Vista, Vista and Vista

Soldato
So, only 5 real versions for us lot. Less than I was expecting tbh.

It could be a good thing if they price them right - proof is in the pudding I guess.

Associate
Looks like it'll be Home Premium for most users, the basic option might be the one that comes with lots of PC's from manufactures aimed at families - but no ones likely to upgrade to something very similar to XP.
Be interesting to see how its all priced.

Soldato
Otacon said:
Do we know if there will be an easy upgrade/downgrade path between versions?
Microsoft has said there is. Don't count on there being paths between the Home editions to the Business editions though ;)

I expect they'll allow for:
Home Basic -> Home Premium -> Ultimate.
and
Business -> Enterprise -> Ultimate.

Soldato
afraser2k said:
Surprised at Microsoft doing that with their next release even with the ruling.
Even with XP they are only really doing it in theory. The 'N' versions (that's without WMP) are hard to find and cost the same as the regular versions. It seems so pointless that they have to be able to supply a version without WMP but they don't have to sell it cheaper or give any incentive for people to buy it. They could probably afford to not even bother mass producing them, probably only a handful of people have bothered to buy it.

Soldato
The ruling and the adjusted editions are ridiculous - why would anyone try to go out and buy something specifically to get media player not included? They have to comply with legislation, but in practice it's ridiculous. Presumably anyone unfortunate enough to end up with an "N" version will still be able to download media player for free?

Soldato
NathanE said:
Don't count on there being paths between the Home editions to the Business editions though ;)
Heh, indeed not. If people wanted to go that route then it forces them to Ultimate if they want a hassle free option.

PinkPig said:
why would anyone try to go out and buy something specifically to get media player not included?
I've been tempted, simply because I never use WMP - But I do take your point. 90% of Joe users would feel short changed if WMP was missing.

I believe it is free to download for the 'N' version btw.

Permabanned
So which version will be analogous to XP Home? For most home users, XP Home is arguably all that is needed. I suspect that the Vista Home Basic edition won't fall into that happy category though? Will it be XP Home = Vista Home Premium and XP Pro = Vista Ultimate?

Soldato
dirtydog said:
So which version will be analogous to XP Home? For most home users, XP Home is arguably all that is needed. I suspect that the Vista Home Basic edition won't fall into that happy category though? Will it be XP Home = Vista Home Premium and XP Pro = Vista Ultimate?

Here: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp gives a good breakdown of the versions and what they mean to 'us lot'.

Associate
PinkPig said:
The ruling and the adjusted editions are ridiculous - why would anyone try to go out and buy something specifically to get media player not included? They have to comply with legislation, but in practice it's ridiculous. Presumably anyone unfortunate enough to end up with an "N" version will still be able to download media player for free?

I don't use that anymore - for XP I use Media player classic from sourceforge. Plays DVD's and pretty much everything else.

Permabanned
Soldato
Psyk said:
Even with XP they are only really doing it in theory. The 'N' versions (that's without WMP) are hard to find and cost the same as the regular versions. It seems so pointless that they have to be able to supply a version without WMP but they don't have to sell it cheaper or give any incentive for people to buy it. They could probably afford to not even bother mass producing them, probably only a handful of people have bothered to buy it.

That's what I was meaning. Although they currently offer a WMP-removed XP I can't seem to find one easily on the 'net. I thought they'd do the same thing with Vista but it seems their policy has been changed.

The basic and lighter editions for Vista will obviously be for Middle East/East Asia regions that have a high rate of piracy (though I doubt it'll change much). The lighter edition of Vista that runs on older equipment could be interesting as a threat to Linux on old hardware (like turning old PC's into routers/firewalls).

Just all depends on what Microsoft lets us play with when they're all released.

Back
Top Bottom