There is a crack in my suspension

Associate
My car has just been in to have a oil leak fixed and a new cam belt, while it was up in the air they noticed that there was a crack in the suspension spring (I had noticed a clunking noise and asked them to check it out). They getting the part in tomorrow for it. £100 inc labour, the car is a pug 306.

Now how safe will it be for me to do a 22 mile round trip home from work tonight and back to the garage tomorrow morning? They said that it had made a loud clunk when they lowered it to the ground so it most likely will be worse than it was this morning. Should I just leave it in the work car park tonight and get public transport.

Associate
I obviously don't know how severe the damage is so can't comment on whether it'll be safe to drive. However, just note that when suspension failure occurs... you quite often are going in the direction at the speed you're doing when it fails...

I know for one I'd risk it, but that's just me. :p

Soldato
I drove 40 miles with the sharp bit of a broken spring pushing into the top of my front drivers side tyre, strangely enough it did no damage to the tyre. I wouldn't reccomend though :)

Caporegime
Imho and i may be wrong if its just the spring thats gone (Cracked) the worst that will happen is that side of the car will be lower and it will handle funny, the strut is attached at the top and even if the spring was taken away totally the suspension would not fall off and you would not sale off in one direction.

Just take it easy, and you should be fine.

Soldato
It ll be fine ;) When I took my 306 P bushes apart on the suspension they crumbled to pieces. It was a sunday, I didnt have the new ones, no where was open and I was off down newquay that day (300 mile trip) My dad had some spare landrover series 2 SOLID bushes and we bodged them on. Still on to this day and its been fine over the 14,000 miles its done since. lol

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
Depends how it fails. ;)

Yup, just that I know someone who had a Laguna... we were going down the road at 40mph when all of a sudden the front of the car just dropped... not a fun experience at all. :p

Caporegime
loopylou said:
Now you are worrying me!

Seriously you have little to worry about, like i said before the worst that will happen is the snapped bit of spring will work its way down the other left bit of spring coil and one front side will be lower, take it easy and you will be A OK! ;)

Associate
OP
Firestar_3x said:
Seriously you have little to worry about, like i said before the worst that will happen is the snapped bit of spring will work its way down the other left bit of spring coil and one front side will be lower, take it easy and you will be A OK! ;)

Ok, on your head be it :D, I know it should be aright I just like to worry.

Caporegime
loopylou said:
Ok, on your head be it :D, I know it should be aright I just like to worry.

Must resist posting, re: worry comment.

Discalimer :

The information(s) provided will no doubt be full of errors and often devoid of any point or relevance to the particular post, therefore the originator of the information(s) will be devoid of all accountability if the asking party decides to act upon supposed advice received, risk of broken nails / dirty clothes due to subsequent mechanical failure while using the vehicle in its half defunct state are also non accountable to the poster of said information(s).

back OT ;)

Associate
I put my 51 plate Fiesta in for a service 3 weeks ago, the guy said my suspension had a crack in it also. However he also said that its like a failsafe or something and that I can drive it fine. He said it wouldn't pass an MOT but its perfectly fine to drive in the meantime and get it sorted later when funding/MOT permits.

Soldato
Scarfacé said:
Yup, just that I know someone who had a Laguna... we were going down the road at 40mph when all of a sudden the front of the car just dropped... not a fun experience at all. :p
Thats because it's a Laguna.

Associate
OP
I got home in one piece, took it very slowly and got all fustrated at people overtaking me on the A130 as I am driving at 50. I can't wait till he is fixed tomorrow (my car is a boy). I will feel so much better about the car.

Back
Top Bottom