Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R, Lights are annoying!

Associate
Thers gonna be plenty of people here who dont really simpathise with what im saying but here goes anyways.

This psu comes with two fans in it 1 = 80mm and 1 = 120mm and both of which have leds on them which are lighting up my whole room at night. Im not interested in the extra lighting cause i got cathods which i turn off at night anyway, at the mo i have to dangle one of my hoodies over the whole pc in order to stop it lighting my whole room up which is stopping airflow in some places.

So my question is, is ther anyway of stopping the leds from working without actually getting into the psu, i opened my old 400watt psu to rapace some noisey fans and it was scary stuff, a shock from the caps on the hiper x psu is not what i want or having to take the risk, however im pretty sure its gonna come to this but does anyone else have any ideas on a way to turns the fan leds off easily?

Cheers guys

Man of Honour
just open it up and swap the fans for ones with no lights, you'll void your warrenty tho.
i have the black hiper 580 type r and it doensnt have any lights

Soldato
Ah.. I wonder if the red and blue ones have different 80mm fans. You see my 80mm is pretty noisy but a lot of folks seem to say their hiper is inaudible. I wonder if the black ones have a better 80mm fan. I had mine open today with the intention of replacing the 80mm with a Silenx 14dba job but the fan power connector was glued to the board and is also 2 pin.May try again tommorrow and just splice it in as the noise is driving me up the wall.

NB: of note for anyone else planning a replacement fan, you'll need a 15mm ultra slim one.

Associate
OP
Think im just gonna have to buy the black one on credit card and sell the other one off.

When i modded one oy old psu it was scary stuff and i dunno if i really wanna open up a psu of this kind. They **** put a switch for lights or somming.!

Cheers

Associate
OP
pinkaardvark said:
Ah.. I wonder if the red and blue ones have different 80mm fans. You see my 80mm is pretty noisy but a lot of folks seem to say their hiper is inaudible. I wonder if the black ones have a better 80mm fan. I had mine open today with the intention of replacing the 80mm with a Silenx 14dba job but the fan power connector was glued to the board and is also 2 pin.May try again tommorrow and just splice it in as the noise is driving me up the wall.

NB: of note for anyone else planning a replacement fan, you'll need a 15mm ultra slim one.

Sos to post twice but yeh my blue one is pretty darn loud and now that uve said the header is glued in i def cant be bothered, i just havnt got the tools at my uni house. Also when my psu is at max load for a while the 80mm on the back is so annoylinly loud.

Soldato
Manifest said:
Sos to post twice but yeh my blue one is pretty darn loud and now that uve said the header is glued in i def cant be bothered, i just havnt got the tools at my uni house. Also when my psu is at max load for a while the 80mm on the back is so annoylinly loud.

The 80mm fan isn't glued in as such but the connector has a blob of glue on it, you could likely scrape it off in order to remove. But as for noisy on full load, only the the 120mm has a rpm cable so basic the 80mm is on full whack even at idle. All of the connectors however are two pin with the 120 mm being connected to one 2 pin and the rpm cable to another 2 pin elsewhwere on pcb.

Soldato
It is safe to open a PSU but only after you discharge it.

i generally turn the pc on with the power switch at the wall turned off.. and then leave it like that with the power stitch turned of for 24 hours then do what has to be done.

My hiper PSU is pretty noiseless , but you can here it when playing games or primeing.

Put it this way Akasa AK-183-L2B Ultra Quiet 120mm is noiser than the psu

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeh man i know how to dishcharge the psu and stuff but even afetr 24 hours its still scary stuff and i dont have 24 hours to leave my pc off for, im a third year student :(

Soldato
I think you're right about the fans though. My brother has the Black Hyper Type R 580W and it's rather quiet. It's hardly loaded though, powering an XP2100 @ stock, Radeon 9800 Pro @ stock and one hard drive! (He's planning an upgrade and his old PSU packed up so he went for a powerful ATX2.0 PSU to last him for the next few years)

To assist in the discharge of the PSU, leave it plugged into the board and unplug the power from the back. Press the power button on the front of the case - this will discharge the main capacitors in the PSU.

Associate
OP
ajgoodfellow said:
I think you're right about the fans though. My brother has the Black Hyper Type R 580W and it's rather quiet. It's hardly loaded though, powering an XP2100 @ stock, Radeon 9800 Pro @ stock and one hard drive! (He's planning an upgrade and his old PSU packed up so he went for a powerful ATX2.0 PSU to last him for the next few years)

To assist in the discharge of the PSU, leave it plugged into the board and unplug the power from the back. Press the power button on the front of the case - this will discharge the main capacitors in the PSU.

Yeh man i did that last time i fiddled with my old psu but i just cant be bothered with voiding the warrenty on a nice psu. I **** have got the black on in the first place cause ive heard a few times it quieter than the bl00 or r3d.

Associate
OP
OMHO even when i drained as much power as i could by booting up without power on and leaving it for 2 hours working inside the psu was scary stuff, its those damn caps, they look so mean.

Back
Top Bottom