Philips 200W6CS 20" - is it defo 8ms?

Associate
Hi,

I'm very interested in this monitor, but there does seem to be some confusion as to the actuall panel being used in it.

Can someone please confirm what panel this monitor uses?

OCuk are advertising it as 8ms, but no where on the internet that I've found can confirm this. Searching this forums has suggested it is a 8ms, but again no solid confirmation. Seeing as it is being sold as 8ms, can you please tell me what the panel is.

I'll be ordering tomorrow if its good news.

Cheers

Ecks

Soldato
Just googled and seen it listed as both 8 ms and 16 ms at different retailers. Maybe there's two versions? One review definitely said it wasn't suited to gaming because of the reponse time. Philips UK list it as 8 ms btw.

Confusing stuff...

Associate
OP
Right, so no body can actually give confirmation? Wont be ordering without it [wink]...

edit - cheers for those who inputted so far, but it would be nice for some official feedback.

Associate
Somehow, I don't understand what is the problem for the manufacturer to clarify this and give us the the definitive & reliable specifications so that consumers are aware what actually they are "buying". Do we have to scratch our heads and guess this type of things ? It's just nuts.

Associate
OP
igors said:
Somehow, I don't understand what is the problem for the manufacturer to clarify this and give us the the definitive & reliable specifications so that consumers are aware what actually they are "buying". Do we have to scratch our heads and guess this type of things ? It's just nuts.

Exactly....

Soldato
THE DOC said:
whats the difference
how would it effect games ,apart from the size would this be better than my samsung 913

It should have much better viewing angles and it'll be a full 24-bit 16.7M colour panel, rather than 18-bit like your 913, which uses dithering to make the number of colours up to 16.2M. Having said that, it's hard to tell TN panels aren't 24-bit, so that's not a big deal. The main difference though is the viewing angles, and that it's widescreen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Philips have assure OCUK that the Philips screen are 8ms, and the spec is correct. The only "debatable" element is the panel used, either its a IPS or MVA, either way it is a beautiful screen. I am one of the first to have it on these forums and loved every minute of it, the colours is just so fantastic !

Caporegime
This is slowly driving me mad! I'm really tempted to get one of these, because I'm itching to buy a 20" WS soon, and I'm not sure the extra £80 or so is worth it for the NEC. Especially since the NEC is using a glossy screen :/

So the Philips is better for movies, thanks to less twinkling of MVA and no glossy coat, right?

But the NEC is (noticably?) better for gaming with more responsive AS-IPS having less ghosting effect... or is there hardly any difference?

I don't like the speakers on the Philips, but it isn't a bad looking monitor really.

Well, I guess nothing is going to be "perfect", but it's just not easy to decide between saving myself some money and getting the Philips now, or taking a chance on the NEC which may be slightly better... And then there's the Viewsonic which I know is coming soon :confused:

/bangs head against wall

Soldato
It probably doesn't make much difference in the end. At the end of the day, the three screens (including the viewsonic) are all 8 ms, 800:1 contrast ratio. I suspect if you put them side by side there would be little to choose between them. MVA panels certainly aren't slow, some of the best screens out there use 8 ms MVA like the VP930. You can't really get much quicker without going to TN Film and sacrificing viewing angles.

Where did you get the impression that MVA was slower than AS-IPS btw?

Associate
Hi,

Another vote for the Philips, got mine on Sat and its awesome. Cant fault it at all. Colours are so much more vibrant, text sharper and screen is huge (compared to my old 17").

Speakers arent that bad either, def not earth shattering but acceptable.

Not a massive gamer but do push out a couple of hours of CS:S a night, much better and no visible ghosting or problems.

HTH,

Dave.

Caporegime
fish99 said:
Where did you get the impression that MVA was slower than AS-IPS btw?
BeHardware were comparing the NEC to the 2ms TN panels ;) That in itself doesn't mean that AS-IPS is faster than VA - that's just how I interpreted it.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom