20" flat panel options

Associate
I never got around to buying a 19" panel and now I'm looking at 20" WS models.
I particularly want one for photo processing (Photoshop) and watching DVDs and office applications.

Both the Viewsonic VX2025 and NEC LCD20WGX2 seems OK. Should I look at others, for example cheaper Philips 200W6CS? Height adjustment would be nice to have and it's not clear if the Viewsonic and NEC have it. The OC page says yes; other comments no. I'm tending towards the NEC as it looks a bit neater than Viewsonic and i can download the manual before I buy.

One other question: the PC has an NVidia GeForce 6600GT card. But looking at the set up it doesn't show the 1680x1050 resolutionof the 20" panels. I assume this is because my current CRT wouldn't run it, but the drivers with a 20" panel would change that. Am I correct.

Thanks for any comments

Associate
Your graphics card will produce that resolution just fine.

I'm also looking at 20" WS monitors and am leaning towards the NEC as it seems the best of the bunch at the moment, just waiting for it to become available.

Soldato
Even without AA/AF, your 6600 GT will struggle with 1650*1080 in recent/new games. There's no way you'd be able to run something like Fear/Doom 3 etc in that res at acceptable framerates without turning settings down a lot.

Associate
You're right about framerates suffering in games with that card at that resolution, but he stated he would be using it for "photo processing and watching DVDs and office applications" in which case the 6600GT will be fine :)

Man of Honour
the NEC doesnt have height adjustment im afraid. For movie watching the NEC isn't really the best of the bunch, since the glossy screen can lead to a lot of annoying relections and movie noise is also quite apparent. This is probably the screens only real issue, I think you might be better with a P-MVA panel like the Viewsonic VX2025WM which is a bit smoother in movie playback and uses an older AR coating. This article might also help shed some light on the options: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/20inch_roundup.htm

Back
Top Bottom