Hovering and Dithering!!

Permabanned
Gee, after months of looking and searching and reading and listening i still haven't made the move over to TFT!! I know i should and i want to, just that i am afraid of getting a monitor that i won't be happy with!! I hate the thought of getting one with a dead pixel or a stuck pixel!!

Thing is, my budget is £200 and i do play games but i don't watch movies on the PC. My graphics card has DVI so i have been edging towards a TFT that has this connection. I very much like the AG Neovo F419 but i am still undecided. A lot of people praise up the Samsung 913 which has a superb picture but it is with VGA.

So confusing!! I just don't want to spend a lot on a TFT. Especially now as there is a baby due in October!!

Should i get the AG Neovo?

Soldato
Find someone who has one locally and drive round to see it. There's no substitue for checking one out personally.

As someone who bought a 913B and found it unacceptable, I can tell you some of the problems you might come across.

The main problem IMO is the viewing angles. All TN Film screens have this problem, the viewing angles are really quite bad, particularly vertically. Horizontally it's like 30 degrees either way before the screen starts to fade, but vertically, even move your head an inch or two and the colour of the screen at the top and bottom changes a little. I found myself constantly adjusting the screen tilt - very annoying. In this area, the slower Neovo may well outperform the Samsung. Viewing angles have been getting worse as they make the panels quicker. One possible option is to get the Formac 1900 Xtreme 3 which can be had for around £235 I believe, which is the cheapest 19" with an MVA panel.

The next thing is black depth. If you play dark games at night with the lights out, then the black depth could well annoy you. The Samsung is better in this area, but still poor. If you currently have a CRT, get ready for a shock when you see how bright the darkest black is on a TN Film screen. Then again, MVA/PVA still don't get anywhere near CRT black levels, although they are better. Like I said though, it's only an issue in a dark room. In a well lit room, TFTs outperform CRTs for black depth, since CRTs reflect too much light with their shiny glass screens.

Last thing would be ghosting. Although one screen is rated 12 ms and the other 8 ms, I don't think there will be a real detectable difference between them in this area. They both do ghost. Some people can see it, some can't. Either way, you will get used to it and I doubt it will bother you seriously.

As for dead pixels, there's always the distance selling regulations.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks fish99 for some good feedback there. I am edging towards the AG Neovo. I have seen the 17'' one and the picture is really crisp etc. Like you say, there is the distance selling regs to fall back on! I want to make my mind up soon, before the baby is born!! lol

Associate
I am on the look out for a 19" CRT as well. Really if you have the room for a CRT there is no reason to take the LCD route as it is inferior in just about everyway. I found this out the hard way and although that LCD sure did look cool sitting there it was not enough compensation for having to live with light leakage and a stuck pixel. Also had to suffer average fps in my favourite games as i had to run all my games at the native 1280*1024 to get the best picture quality from the LCD. Somethings to consider before making your decision.

Associate
ACPCUP said:
The Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19'' CRT Looks nice and it is not too big either! Wish i could put one side by side with a TFT!!

Just to compare size diffrence? If space is tight i would set about looking for the best TFT ;) If you want to play safe then i would go for the Samsung 913 as it is a good all-rounder. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom