No IHS + Shuttle ICE

Associate
Hi,

I am just closing a deal on an Opteron 144 with the IHS removed. Can somebody just clear up that this will be OK with the ICE system that the shuttles use?

Thanks

Don
icebase.jpg

Having a look at mine, there's a ridge round the base of the HS that, when used with a naked chip clashes with the back of the socket so if your's is the same I would say no.

There should be an image there, but Uploadit is playing up.

Jokester

Associate
OP
hmm, i spoke to a few people on the SFFTech forums and they seem to say that it should be ok without the IHS, lets hope they are right, if not im sure there would be around it??????

Any Ideas?

Caporegime
DizzyEgg said:
hmm, i spoke to a few people on the SFFTech forums and they seem to say that it should be ok without the IHS, lets hope they are right, if not im sure there would be around it??????

Any Ideas?

Put the ihs back on it.

Associate
OP
is that as easy as it sounds? could i just rest it on would it be safe?

Will shuttle release another Skt 939 XPC or should I just get one now?

I liked the look of the nForce4 skt 939 shuttle but it doesnt have a PCI slot and I would like to put a decent soundcard into it.

The SN21G5V3 seems ok but I read I cant up the HT much, would I be able to change the multiplyer with the Opteron?

I like the look of this SFF, looks real sweet but the overclocking options are putting me off.

Last edited:
Soldato
SN21G5V3??

is that SN25P or SN95G5V3 or what??

if ya want PCI and pci-e gpu then ST20G5 might be worth a look. also the onboard sound on the P type shuttles is pretty good so you may not need a soundacrd

Associate
OP
I have managed to get my hands on a SN95G5, I know it has an AGP slot but I am just thinking of getting a 7800GS or something, it seems to have had good reviews. I don't think I will be upgrading much so I dont think its a bad choice.

I am gonna have to read up on how to replace the IHS now tho :)

Soldato
You shouldnt have any problems at all with a 'naked' A64 in a shuttle. I had my 'naked' 3800+ Venice running sweetly @ 2800MHz in my SN95G5 v2 without any problems at all.

Good luck with the new rig anyways...

Back
Top Bottom