FRP Squeeling problem - Helllp

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Hi There

I have a problem and i really need some help. Basicley i have a Squeel under my bonnet which is somewhere along the Aux Belt line. The car has been to pumabuild / Ford and Tremona Ford and it seems its not easy to fix as no one can tell me where the problem lies. The Aux belt has been replaced 3 times in the last 6 months and that usually takes the problem away for around 250 miles then it comes back to its full glory. I only last week had a new Pulley ( the one at the top of the engine ) but that hasnt fixed the problem. So next Tremona RS ford have suggested the Tensioner and a new belt but again they have said this could not be the problem.

Other than being the tensioner / belt what could it be ? What else runs on the same line. It sounds like its coming from the top at the back which i belive is the water pump ? But the guy @ tremona garage says it cant be that.

I really cant afford to keep throwing money at "maybes", if i did that i could spend £1000 + replacing working bits but no one seems to be able to find a way to actually "diagnose" the problem once and for all and as you can hear from the video clip its simply un drivable with the current "squeel" It drives me CRACKERS !!!

The Noise NEVER dissapears, Hot / Cold / Wet / Dry its allways there

When im driving along if i depress the clutch the noise will dissapear or be a lot quieter, Tremona ford think this is because the load is being taken off the engine which supports the tensioner / belt slip idea.

Anyway heres a video which is around 10mb which i took tonight get ready to put your fingers in your ears folks -

http://www.samb0.co.uk/frp/frpsqueeel.wmv

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Sam

Soldato
Where abouts is the alternator in your engine?

I ask this because mine has recently started squealing. I had a full belt change a month ago and I'm thinking the tightness of the belt has moved the alread-worn alternator pulley slightly caused the bearings to become noisy.

Do you have any pics of the engine bay pointing out where the noise is coming from?

Might help us to diagnose the problem :)

Soldato
Right, just watched the video... it's a weird one as it sounds like something is slipping slowly.

If you can, get a video in the daylight of you pressing on all of the belts. I've a problem with this before. I'd tighten the alternator tensioner bracket only for it to become loose again after a few weeks.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Thing is mate i think the alt on the puma is bolt on ie you cant pull it then do it up. It has a spring operated tensioner.

Oh and heres a pic of the area affected !

auxbelt.JPG

Sam

Man of Honour
Try liberally spraying the drivebelt area (ie around the alternator pulley) with some Beltmate while the engine is running. I've had similar uncurable slipping on 205's in the past.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
I have thought about the alternator but it sounds like its coming from the back half of the engine hmmmm

Sam

Soldato
Sam said:
I have thought about the alternator but it sounds like its coming from the back half of the engine hmmmm

Sam

Use a long screwdriver to locate the sound. Sounds travel weird ways in engines.

Screwdriver trick works well though.

Don't stick it in the alternator though :eek:

I have a squeel from the Rover but I know it's the power steering belt. It has a seperate belt just for the PAS pump.

It's really crappy and crusty so I bought a new one today. Only £7 for a Rover one from Rover. It's manual tension so I wanna look up about what sort of tension I need to set it at

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Mine used to scream and it would disappear when the clutch was depressed. Turned out to be the release thrust bearing of the clutch. New clutch time. Due a clutch change?

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Jet said:
Mine used to scream and it would disappear when the clutch was depressed. Turned out to be the release thrust bearing of the clutch. New clutch time. Due a clutch change?

Thought about that but spray WD40 on the belt and it dissapears therefor it cannot be the clutch :(

Soldato
id try the alternator too, my mini used to squeel all the time, undid the alternator bolt and it dropped back just a tiny touch but made all the difference to the belt

Soldato
Not that im really contributing to the thread because i cant really help you, but, did you know the guy you bought the car from?

Seems your very unlucky mate, at least all the money being spent will be wel worth it as soon as the FRP sees a track :D

Permabanned
I had this exact problem with my Zetec S, i even made a post about it but i didnt explain it very well at all (the problem) mines gone away now, and i have no idea how, sorry i cant be of any help.

Back
Top Bottom