I think my shutter just died, options?

Soldato
Ok I have an 18-24 month old 10D. Its shutter is rated at 50,000. I was out on a gig tonight and it just locked shut. Its permantly covering the sensor. I've got at least 34k of RAW files on my PC. Give or take photos I've deleted and random tests I'd say its done at least 40-5k of photos. So what should I do? Should I look at getting it repaired or just look to getting a 20/30D? I have 0 cash at the moment so obviously the repair option is probably best. I need my camera to make money and I need it asap.

Associate
cyKey said:
Ok I have an 18-24 month old 10D. Its shutter is rated at 50,000. I was out on a gig tonight and it just locked shut. Its permantly covering the sensor. I've got at least 34k of RAW files on my PC. Give or take photos I've deleted and random tests I'd say its done at least 40-5k of photos. So what should I do? Should I look at getting it repaired or just look to getting a 20/30D? I have 0 cash at the moment so obviously the repair option is probably best. I need my camera to make money and I need it asap.

First of all: :(

I'd get it in for an estimate on the cost of repair. I've heard of instances where people with cameras that are just out of their warranty, or in your case, shouldn't have really failed, have been repaired free of charge. You should be able to tell the number of shutter actuations by file names? No?

Good luck.

Permabanned
Try the warranty option first, repair wont be cheap or particually quick. You have no chance of getting a 30D as they arent avail yet AFAIK so that leaves a now superseeded 20D as the quick option....which might be good as prices are falling with the new model on the horizon.

I would lend you my spare body Pete...but i'm a Nikon man!

Soldato
OP
Slime101 said:
Try the warranty option first, repair wont be cheap or particually quick. You have no chance of getting a 30D as they arent avail yet AFAIK so that leaves a now superseeded 20D as the quick option....which might be good as prices are falling with the new model on the horizon.

I would lend you my spare body Pete...but i'm a Nikon man!

Will do :) Cheers.

MrSix said:
Claim on insurance for a new cam, they'll give you the money to replace it - so a 20D with goodies, or a new 30D body.

Only got house insurance to cover it from accidental damage.

Soldato
I've heard Shutter repairs cost around £200
You've found an excuse for a 20D ;) :p

I have a couple of weddings in the next few weeks, otherwise you could have borrowed one of my 20D's for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
It may be too far as I live in Colne, near Burnley, but if your desperate for a camera for work you could borrow my 20D for a few weeks, I wont be needing it as ive got work commitments. Also as i dont drive youd need to pick it up and drop it off after.

The offers there though, email me if interested.

Soldato
OP
SDK^ said:
I've heard Shutter repairs cost around £200
You've found an excuse for a 20D ;) :p

£200 is still technically cheaper than £750 :)

Cheers for the loan offers guys. Thankfully I don't have anything major coming up. Which is technically a bad thing as I have no money coming in. I'm going to buy some Ilford 3200 and try that out on my film camera this Friday. I've just put my Sigma 10-20 on it and aside from vigneting it appears to work. Its fine at 14mm.

Associate
My friend dropped his D30 and had the shutter repaired/replaced by Canon. It cost £275, and took them 6 weeks. Not what you wanted to hear. :(

Soldato
Yeah, i'm all for the accidental droppage excuse - say you were taking photos while you were in the bath and *ooops* it just plopped in....(the camera that is :p)

Soldato
OP
Can you believe its actually snowing for the first time in about 4 years? **** Thankfully I do have my EOS50 and my Sigma 10-20 does work on it at 14mm. Oh and my Dad said we have to pay the first £150 of a house insurance claim anyway.

Permabanned
cyKey said:
Can you believe its actually snowing for the first time in about 4 years? **** Thankfully I do have my EOS50 and my Sigma 10-20 does work on it at 14mm. Oh and my Dad said we have to pay the first £150 of a house insurance claim anyway.

Yes but which is better....£150/200+ for a fixed 10D...or £150 which will payout enough to cover a new 20D/30D :D

Permabanned
Its just my sons camera guv, he likes taking photos but took a tumble coming down stairs and dropped the body which is now broken....

(as said by petes dad on the claim form!)

Back
Top Bottom