Good wide angle lens

Associate
I have a 350d and would like a wide angle lens.

i was amazed at the canon 10-22 mm pics i saw but then i realised it was £500. Is this the going price for wide angle lenses or are there any others that are cheaper?

Soldato
inferno said:
i was amazed at the canon 10-22 mm pics i saw but then i realised it was £500. Is this the going price for wide angle lenses or are there any others that are cheaper?
Sigma and Tamron lenses are cheaper but focus is noisy and slower than Canon lenses.

Permabanned
SDK^ said:
Sigma and Tamron lenses are cheaper but focus is noisy and slower than Canon lenses.

Is that based on experiance of lots of Sigma/Tamron or just a few, as things like the 70-300 Sigma are not exactly representative of the entire Sigma range.

It also depends whether you get USM/HSM models etc.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The sigma 10-20 is supposed to be very comparable to the Canon 10-22, the sigma out performs it in some situations. And for the price you can get it for in the UK its also a steal. I think Cykey has one so its best to ask him for some first hand opinions.

Soldato
divine_madness said:
Is that based on experiance of lots of Sigma/Tamron or just a few, as things like the 70-300 Sigma are not exactly representative of the entire Sigma range.

It also depends whether you get USM/HSM models etc.

I was refering to the Sigma and Tamron wide angle lenses as the OP was refering to. HSM/USM as you pointed out :)
Although after checking the Sigma 10-20 does have HSM, so my bad.

Soldato
I'm in the same market, want to replace the kit lens and cba to do it with a 17- mm
waste of time
10-20 sigma does look nice as an alternative to the ef-s 10-22

Associate
got a 10-20mm HSM DG Sigma lens, its a great lens. Althought it can suffer with dissortion at 10mm.

some samples:

whitbypier1.jpg

manchester2.jpg

northlanding10mm.jpg

note the disortion on the rocks in the corners, straight of my camera too

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if you're after wider, but I've been looking at the Tamron AF 17-35mm f2.8-4 Di LD to replace my kit lens with. I originally wanted the 17-40L, but just can't justify the cost. I don't really want any wider than around 17mm, because the distortion gets too much, and it makes architectural shots more trouble than they're worth.

The Tamron is £330, has excellent reviews and the sample photos I've seen are miles better than the kit lens. I've reserved one at the local camera shop and am going to put it through its paces this weekend. I'll be taking pics of branches/buildings with a white sky backdrop... the beautiful recipe for CA. I'll have the kit lens with me and will be comparing photos from both lense. I'm not expecting miracles, but am hoping it'll be considerably better than the kit lens.

Associate
Lostkat said:
Not sure if you're after wider, but I've been looking at the Tamron AF 17-35mm f2.8-4 Di LD to replace my kit lens with. I originally wanted the 17-40L, but just can't justify the cost. I don't really want any wider than around 17mm, because the distortion gets too much, and it makes architectural shots more trouble than they're worth.

The Tamron is £330, has excellent reviews and the sample photos I've seen are miles better than the kit lens. I've reserved one at the local camera shop and am going to put it through its paces this weekend. I'll be taking pics of branches/buildings with a white sky backdrop... the beautiful recipe for CA. I'll have the kit lens with me and will be comparing photos from both lense. I'm not expecting miracles, but am hoping it'll be considerably better than the kit lens.

I bought this lens(The Tamron) on the same justification - I think I have a fairly good copy as I don't suffer from much CA or lack of edge sharpness. I find that the colours aren't as warm as my 70-200L, but if you up the saturation a bit then you get the same effect. It's miles better than the kit and I'm pleased with it.

Here's a full size sample at F7.1 (56K Warning)

Clicky

I hope you get a good one too.

Last edited:
Associate
Sleepyd said:
I bought this lens on the same justification - I think I have a fairly good copy as I don't suffer from much CA or lack of edge sharpness. I find that the colours aren't as warm as my 70-200L, but if you up the saturation a bit then you get the same effect.

Clicky

Hi nice sharp photo - did you sharpen it in Photoshop or similar?

Associate
AndyBorzi said:
Hi nice sharp photo - did you sharpen it in Photoshop or similar?

Converted from RAW in Capture One Pro and saved to JPEG in photoshop - for some reason this is the only way I can get the EXIF to show up!

I was stunned to see the sharpness when I first bought it - it's best in the range F5.6-8, but very usable above and below in my experience. I've only had it for a couple of months though.

Associate
If you're on a tighter budget, then the Sigma 15-30mm can be had for £150 second hand from one of those auction sites.

Obviously not as wide as the Sigma 10-20, but half the price. (Second hand 10-20's tend to go for pretty much the same as retail)

Soldato
Sleepyd said:
I bought this lens(The Tamron) on the same justification - I think I have a fairly good copy as I don't suffer from much CA or lack of edge sharpness. I find that the colours aren't as warm as my 70-200L, but if you up the saturation a bit then you get the same effect. It's miles better than the kit and I'm pleased with it.

Clicky

Thanks for that Sleepyd. Really helpful comments and a nice shot too. It's one thing reading the reviews, but it's another to speak to someone who actually has the lens. I can tell exactly how that would come out with the kit lens, and can see a large improvement. I've read about the possible quality issues with the lens, but since it has a 6 yr warranty, and the reviews I've read have mentioned that Tamron will replace the lens if it's a duff one, I'm not too worried about it. :)

SDK^ said:
The dust spots stand out more ;)
Lol, was just thinking that. Someone needs to clean their sensor :p

Nix

Nix

Soldato
whitbypier1.jpg (#1)- I like the rustic colours.
northlanding10mm.jpg (#3) - I love the glaze of the water in that photo

Despite the distortion, they're still great shots :)

Back
Top Bottom