Video format help

Associate
I'm trying to copy some stuff (holidays etc) from the camcorder onto the PC via the ViVo socket on my Leadtek FX5700. Once I've got them on the PC, I want to put them onto DVD.

Setup works fine - I can see and hear everything I need, and can record to the hard drive easily enough. Problem is, the config options gives about ten different recording formats for the video - and I've got no idea which to use!

Should I record the stuff into MPEG2 (options for high and standard quality,) AVI, DVD-PAL (I'm presuming I only need this if I want to put the stuff straight to DVD?) There are other options but I can't remember what they are and I don't really think they're relevant (like DVD-NTSC.)

(The audio is recorded via the line-in on my soundcard - for some reason I can't get any sound via the ViVo socket even using the proper cables that came with the graphics card, so it shows as a separate item from the video stream in the config, but sound+vid are all stored as one file when recorded. Works fine with other camcorders, but doesn't with this one. Ho hum!)

Once I've recorded, I eventually want to put it all onto DVD to view in a standalone DVD player connected to the TV. Some of the stuff won't need any editing - it can go straight to disc, but some of it will need to have menus/chapters etc added.

Some of it will need to be split as well, as one of the tapes contains lots of different stuff all mixed together, some of which really goes with recordings on other tapes.

So after all that ranting....What format should I record in, and what software do I need so that I can split and merge recordings if needed, and so that I can then edit them by adding menus etc, and finally what software is needed to put it all onto DVD (I've got Nero6 - only ever used it for data discs though.)

Any help appreciated!!

Caporegime
I always rip from DV tape in raw format first.

If nothing else, it gives me more backup redundancy, as I always lose tapes / discs / hard drives.

As JC says, mpeg2 is the way to go if you want to create a DVD that you can put in your standalone player - Unfortunately, I do all my authoring on linux, so don't know the relevant windows software for creating vob files and menu structures.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I will start recording some stuff using the MPEG2 setting then (Thanks for the idea Borris, but there's not raw format option in the software as far as I can see.)

Now I just need some editing software. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom