Fleet Insurance Quote !!!!

Soldato
Hi guys, cant believe the quote we have just been given.

Insurance company came over to my dad the other day to tell him that they can offer him Fleet insurance because he has 5 vehicles.

These include..

Jag S type 4.0 v8 (2001) Dads car
Renault megane 1.4 16v (2005) Mums Car
Renault megane coupe 1.4 16v (2002) My car
Crappy Van x 2 for business.

Now Insurance on my car alone is 1200 for me and mum to drive, and im not allowed to drive another other cars in the family because insurance is awfully high to be a named driver.

They ca,e back with a quote today... For
Me (18)
2 other 18 year olds
mum
dad
and 2x 21 year olds to driver all vehicles.

£2000!!

Im amazed! Cant wait to drive the jag :D

Happy Happy Tom :):):):)

Associate
how does this affect your No claims bonus though? If you, for some reason, wanted to be insured seperately would it be a matter of getting the fleet insurance company to write a letter saying you had no claims whilst insured with them?

Edit: hehe too slow! Great minds etc etc..

Soldato
OP
Hmmmmmm....... not sure tbh. Wont be me i dont think, probably dad. But ive only got to contribute £400 towards the insurance, saving me £800 on a year on what im paying now. Granted i will struggle when it comes to me getting my own car eventually with No NCB, but with my current financial situation id prefer to save now and pay more when i graduate from uni.

EDIT: Maybe they could pass some over if i went with the same company if i wanted my own insurance in the future.

The only problem is, i cant see them letting me have something like a FRPuma on the company insurance...
tom

Last edited:
Associate
mr tommo said:
Hmmmmmm....... not sure tbh. Wont be me i dont think, probably dad. But ive only got to contribute £400 towards the insurance, saving me £800 on a year on what im paying now. Granted i will struggle when it come to me getting my own car eventually with No NCB, but with my current financial situation id prefer to save now and pay more when i graduate from uni.

tom

Could be worth a quick phone call to the fleet insurance company they will probably provide you with a letter which hopefully a.n.other insurance company will accept as proof of your No Claims entitlement.

Don
no one gets NCB on fleet policies usually , however a letter saying that you have driven on a fleet policy will usually get you a NCB at a new insurer , for this the vehicle usually has to be assigned almost exclusively to one person

aslo many fleet policies are TPO so best to check this too

Soldato
Rotty said:
no one gets NCB on fleet policies usually , however a letter saying that you have driven on a fleet policy will usually get you a NCB at a new insurer , for this the vehicle usually has to be assigned almost exclusively to one person

aslo many fleet policies are TPO so best to check this too
that is true, you accumulate no NCB, IIRC there is something similar called policy years or something like that,
that is basically how many years each car has been insured on one of your policies.

we looked at getting this but this is what happened -
1x 2005 mondeo TDCI
1x previa D4D
1x corolla D4D
1x nissan van diesel

total cost for ANY driver (including 17yr old me) was 2.5k

We then came accross the problem that the NCB that we have now would expire if it wasnt used on a car for a couple of years, therefore we decided to keep it as it is, just in case it became cheaper in the future.

Soldato
OP
Rotty said:
on most fleet policies the cars insured must be "owned by or hired to" the company insured , that has always been the case on the fleet policies where I work

right ok, well my car is registered to my mum (joint owner of company) from new, i was a named driver but shared user of the car. Over the last couple of months its only been me driving the car so im pretty much the main driver. However with me being able to drive which ever vehicle i want now, i will be using other cars on a more regular basis.

Thanks for that rotty, Mum was sure that all drivers were Fully Comp but she is going to speak tomorrow just to make sure.

Tom

Soldato
If the company is a Ltd company - the car will have to be sold to the company and the log book changed.

This will be the case for all cars under the fleet if the company is a Ltd one.

As for the NCB - there are ways to get some introductory discount if you get a letter saying you have been driving company cars for x number of years claim free - however, none of the insurers that give this discount will do it for drivers aged under 25.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
mr tommo said:
Hmmmmmm....... not sure tbh. Wont be me i dont think, probably dad. But ive only got to contribute £400 towards the insurance, saving me £800 on a year on what im paying now. Granted i will struggle when it comes to me getting my own car eventually with No NCB, but with my current financial situation id prefer to save now and pay more when i graduate from uni.

EDIT: Maybe they could pass some over if i went with the same company if i wanted my own insurance in the future.

The only problem is, i cant see them letting me have something like a FRPuma on the company insurance...
tom
I'd see if you could stay doing that until you're 25. I didn't have a NCB but as soon as I clicked 25 the insurance went from £450 ish (with 2 years NCB) to £150 with no NCB. It makes financial sense for you and your family.

Soldato
merlin said:
If the company is a Ltd company - the car will have to be sold to the company and the log book changed.

This will be the case for all cars under the fleet if the company is a Ltd one.

As for the NCB - there are ways to get some introductory discount if you get a letter saying you have been driving company cars for x number of years claim free - however, none of the insurers that give this discount will do it for drivers aged under 25.

thats not true I dont think, not according to our broker anyways,
he said the car has to be "linked" in some way to the company,
the van is owned by the company and all 3 cars are owned by my dad who is a majority shareholder in the LTD company.

Back
Top Bottom