Unable to enable Internet Sharing

Associate
hey, I have a Desktop (dirctly connected to the internet) and a laptop (Wireless networked to the desktop).

Before today everything was working fine, I was able access the internet on the laptop thru the desktop, but today I was messing around with some things since it just stopped working for some reason, I disabled internet sharing on the host and then tryed to enable it agian but it give me this error:

"An error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
The specific service does not exist as an installed service."

I also tried the Connection Wizard and that was failing also.

I also checked out the Event log and it said this:

Error
Source - NetBT
Description - Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.

Any ideas?

Soldato
ICS/ICF Service in control panel -> administrative tools -> services is probably disabled or set to manual, try start the service then try again with checking the internet connection.

Suspended
Basicly go run, type 'services.msc' without the ''''s and then it will load up a list of all the services that load on your computer boot.

Down the bottom there should be 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)'. Make sure it is started and if you right click on it. Make sure it says 'Startup type: Automatic'

Try that?

Associate
OP
Right updated to windows xp SP2 and all the rest of it, still not fixed the problem.

I cant see Windwos Firewall/Internet COnnection Sharing (ICS) in the services list.

Associate
OP
Found a fix for this problem! Finaly...

Heres a link to a site with some files, if you have the problem just look on the list (and check the file name because theres a version for xp and 2k). It basicly adds a little key to the registery which tells the service to start up with windows, problem solved! Internet connection sharing up and running :)

Thanks to those who tryed to help all the same

http://www.howtonetworking.com/casestudy/error1060.htm

Back
Top Bottom