Best ADSL for gameing?

Soldato
Currently on pipex 1mbit but thinking of moveing somewhere else, i remeber Eclispe and Nildram used to good for gameing. But didn't pipex buy nildram out?

Not bothered about speed, price or caps (as long as its not 1gb or something stupid like that), anybody got any recommendations?

Soldato
Gaming. Moving. I find my Zen connection pretty good - low latency and constant pings.

Zen are discontinuing the package I have (Home 2000) tomorrow, but I don't know if that means orders must be received by tomorrow or fulfilled by tomorrow.

Associate
Don't think there is that much of a difference with latency and pings among the decent (slightly subjective but I would say: Zen, Eclipse, Nildram, Pipex, Demon etc) ISPs.

I've used Eclipse, BT and Pipex and all give a 15-40 ping (average) on a UK CS server (BT pings were always slightly lower but this might not always be the case).

EDIT: Just read about this ISP, haven't used them before personally, might be worth a look: - AmmoBOX - apparently designed for gamers - link

hth

aaazza

Last edited:
Associate
I can recommend Eclipse. Always had really low pings with them, normally hovering around 15-25 max. I guess it depends on your geographical location aswell.

Caporegime
Biggest variation in your latency is going to be within BTw's network.
Provided your ISPs decent and isn't packing their Centrals (or the rest of their network) to the limit, you shouldn't see much (if any) difference.

Soldato
Just a note; have you noticed PIPEX have re-jigged their plans recently? It appears you can now get 'PIPEX Go' (2Mbps unlimited) for pretty much the same price as PIPEX SOLO 1000 used to be (Around £24/month) :)

Soldato
OP
Al Vallario said:
Just a note; have you noticed PIPEX have re-jigged their plans recently? It appears you can now get 'PIPEX Go' (2Mbps unlimited) for pretty much the same price as PIPEX SOLO 1000 used to be (Around £24/month) :)

can only get 1mbit at the moment :( , did one of those max dsl calculators and it only came out at 1.9mbit.

Very annoying as an exchange with loads of LLU kit is very close to me (within 200 yards :( , i believe it was the first exchange in the country to have LLU kit before BT kit)

Soldato
ste_bla said:
With me, pinging jolt.co.uk;

BT - 21-25ms
AOL - 15-17ms
Eclipse - 12-13ms
Is that with the same modem/router? as that will make a difference, also, it's best to ping at full mtu (if you're not already) as it will give a better representation of ping.

Associate
Just been connected with Zen, and must say that I thought AOL was slightly faster than what I have now, not sure why really but its early days yet.

One thing I did notice is that when I connect with my Speedtouch 330, at 1st connect my machine just freezes, and requires my pulling the lead out the back, and then plugging back in, until hopefully the system starts responding again, and then the 2nd time I connect it all goes through without any freezing. Can anyone help me there?

Soldato
danceMB said:
Just been connected with Zen, and must say that I thought AOL was slightly faster than what I have now, not sure why really but its early days yet.

One thing I did notice is that when I connect with my Speedtouch 330, at 1st connect my machine just freezes, and requires my pulling the lead out the back, and then plugging back in, until hopefully the system starts responding again, and then the 2nd time I connect it all goes through without any freezing. Can anyone help me there?

I strongly suggest you purchase a modem/router - dial up networking is very lame...

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
Is that with the same modem/router? as that will make a difference, also, it's best to ping at full mtu (if you're not already) as it will give a better representation of ping.

All with a Netgear DG834G

Aol @ 1400 mtu

Bt @ Default (1492?)

Eclipse @ 1496

Soldato
My friend uses a Binatone USB modem on his 8Mbps Bulldog service and gets 3.5Mbps. We tried my NETGEAR DG834G and he got 4.5Mbps!

Associate
I do actually have a Netgear ADSL wired router with me, but I have to buy an ethernet card for both of the machines that I have to use it. Im sure that the problems will just melt away after that, at least I hope they will as this is driving me mad!

Soldato
danceMB said:
I do actually have a Netgear ADSL wired router with me, but I have to buy an ethernet card for both of the machines that I have to use it. Im sure that the problems will just melt away after that, at least I hope they will as this is driving me mad!

I'm guessing that both of your machines are pretty old?

I suggest a Belkin PCI Ethernet card (£10) in the PC connected to the router and a NETGEAR WG311 PCI Wi-Fi card (£30) in the "remote" PC.

Associate
I was thinking if the freezing when I connect to the internet problems persist, I might have to go down the road of re-installing Windows XP and everything all over again. The best option would be a whole new hard drive, but I just cannot afford that right now.

Back
Top Bottom