Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19'' CRT

Permabanned
Hi

Anyone got one of these:

Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19'' CRT

If so, what do you think of it. Is the picture superb, any problems with it? It is supposed to be smaller than your average CRT, what do you think?

Associate
One here too, took up as much space as my 5 yr old 17" thats why i got one.
not as sharp as a TFT (still good though) but how many crt's are for that money? Not had any problems and it's on for an average 16 hours a day.

Having played with a Neovo 19" TFT recently though i would certainly suggest looking closely at a TFT, unless of course you really really need the higher resolutions like 1600x1200@75Hz

Associate
this was my first monitor before i had that i was using a laptop, but i still want to get a tft because i watch a lot of dvds. very good for the money the only reason i want to get another monitor (tft) is because when i built my pc i didn't have much money left to buy a tft, ive not even had it for a year but i would say it would last along time

Permabanned
OP
Steves_pc said:
One here too, took up as much space as my 5 yr old 17" thats why i got one.
not as sharp as a TFT (still good though) but how many crt's are for that money? Not had any problems and it's on for an average 16 hours a day.

Having played with a Neovo 19" TFT recently though i would certainly suggest looking closely at a TFT, unless of course you really really need the higher resolutions like 1600x1200@75Hz

Which did you prefer? The CRT or the TFT picturewise etc etc? Is the CRT that big or is it a good size for a 19'' crt?

The Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19'' CRT might be the best option for me at the moment as i am so unsure about TFT's. So many problems:

Dead pixels
Lazy pixels
Backlight Bleed
Restrictive Viewing Angles
Not so good blacks
Screen burn
Possibility of Ghosting

Last edited:
Soldato
You can certainly get better CRTs is you're prepared to pay a bit more, and more importantly if you can find them. Diamondtron aperture grille screens are the best, assuming you can live with the two horizontal lines. Mitsubishi, Sony, Viewsonic, Iiyama, all use them in their top-of-the-range models.

My Viewonsic P97F+SB is superb if you can find somewhere selling them. I paid £185 for it. IIyama IM 454 pro is supposed to be another top screen. Mitsubishi 930SB isn't made anymore, but maybe you can pick up one 2nd hand. Same thing for the Sonys. CRTs are dirt cheap 2nd hand now.

Permabanned
OP
Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19'' CRT Looks like a nice CRT. Very good reviews on it. Then again, i may opt for the AGNeovo F419 12ms 19'' TFT. Bite the bullet and decide!!! This is doing my wifes head in too as she is cheesed off with me dithering!!

Last edited:
Associate
Firstly i have to admit i've never been a fan of TFT's for the same reasons as youve listed and did think about TFT before i got the Q995 as i didnt have much space to spare so the 995 fitted the space bill perfectly, it turned out to be maybe about an inch bigger in all directions so sat just fine where the old 17" had been.

Despite the Neovo being one of the cheapest 19" TFT's i had to admit in comparison to the Q995 the Neovo took 1st prize, Brighter colours, whiter whites and black even seems to be better on the tft despite having twiddled settings on the 995 (bear in mind the use mines had over nearly 2yrs though) and of course the sharpness is great, to the point it makes a crt look soft(but easy to look at), when i 1st compared them i opened up the 995 and tweaked the focus just to make sure! :eek: (avoid this unless you know what youre doing).

Viewing angles are much less of a problem than most people make out tbh, if your using the pc are you really going to sit at some obscure angle? No i thought not :p the worst angle on the neovo seems to be from below but i'm not likely to sit under the desk so that wouldnt be a problem, from the sides it's quite surprising how far you have to go before the picture becomes unreadable, along the lines of 4ft from the side then about a foot in front (strange way of working it eh) above is also pretty good but perhaps not as good as from the sides.

The only real let down on any tft is the flexibility of resolutions, native's best and thats it, scaling to some degree wont be noticable in games but for desktop/gfx editing definately a no no for me.

Unfotunately the dead/lazy pixel issue is a bit of a lottery as it happens to the cheap as well as the dear ones, backlight bleed is popping up a fair bit lately on the 20" wide jobs but the 19" seem to be ok from what i've seen around here, there is some leakage around the edge as you find even on laptops but of course it's only noticable with a dark background, blur was not a problem on this particular one but i didnt do any extreme gaming on it just a quick session on Brothers in Arms.

Dont forget also the 19" crt is only 18" viewable so a 17" tft may do you nicely, it just seemed a good idea for the extra few bob to get them the 19" in my case, where else can you get an extra 2" for £20

I will be heading for a TFT once funds permit, best suggestion i can give you is to find a shop where theyre plugged in and have a demo, take along a memory stick or something with your fave pics or whatever and see what they look like in the flesh, were all different and my views/feelings towards tft's may not be the same as yours.

sorry if some of that states the obvious but just sort of went with the flow, hope it helps a bit though.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks Steves_pc. Very helpful advice there. So you liked the AGNeovo then? I have seen one in the flesh and was quite impressed. I will probably just have to 'go for it'. Be nice to hear from anyone who has used one extensively for all apps and games.

Soldato
It's good for the price, I have two elsewhere in my house, only thing I've noticed is small wavey lines when the resolution is above 1280x1024.

Permabanned
OP
Tony Soprano said:
It's good for the price, I have two elsewhere in my house, only thing I've noticed is small wavey lines when the resolution is above 1280x1024.

That is above the native res though? How are they for games mate / general word etc etc?

Associate
ACPCUP said:
Thanks Steves_pc. Very helpful advice there. So you liked the AGNeovo then? I have seen one in the flesh and was quite impressed. I will probably just have to 'go for it'. Be nice to hear from anyone who has used one extensively for all apps and games.

Yes i did quite like it, as does a mate in London who needed a new monitor, told him about it and he went staight in and got one :)

I dont think you'd be disappointed, comes with both VGA and DVI cables too.

Soldato
Steves_pc said:
Despite the Neovo being one of the cheapest 19" TFT's i had to admit in comparison to the Q995 the Neovo took 1st prize,

You're comparing cheap TFT with even cheaper CRT though (the Q995 is £50 cheaper). I've owned two TFTs (Sammy SM913B, Digimate L1916), with very similar 19" TN screens to the Neovo, and my CRT blows them away IMO.

Permabanned
OP
fish99 said:
You're comparing cheap TFT with even cheaper CRT though (the Q995 is £50 cheaper). I've owned two TFTs (Sammy SM913B, Digimate L1916), with very similar 19" TN screens to the Neovo, and my CRT blows them away IMO.

What CRT have you got mate? What was so naff about the TFT's you had?

Soldato
Already posted it earlier in the thread - Viewsonic P97F+SB. Problem I found with those TFT were - viewing angles, black depth, ghosting and backlight bleeding. Other than that though they were great :D

Soldato
£185 for the CRT. TFTs were Samsung 913B - 8 ms, Digitmate L1916 - 16 ms.

A lot of people wouldn't agree with my assessment of CRTs and TFTs though I'm sure, and the Samsung was a beatiful screen in a lot of ways, despite it's failings. Plus there's no denying TFTs have a big advantage in desk space and power consumption, so I've got no problem with people preferring TFTs.

Permabanned
OP
Yea, well desk space is a big concern for me since i moved the PC into the living room!

I quite like the Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19'' CRT But as space is a big factor i may go for the AG Neovo. Got to decide soon!!

Associate
the image quest is quite bulky but then again ive never had a crt before, i dont think it would look out of place in a livingroom depending how big it is,but for a normal size room i should have thought it would be ok

Back
Top Bottom