• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Minimum PSU for a 1800 XL?

Associate
Ive currently got an arctic T2 which has a 350 watt psu (which can go up to 450 watt for periods of time). Im looking to upgrade to a 3700 San Diego with a ATI 1800 XL card, will this PSU provide enough Juice to run this system?

Associate
OP
Yeah thats cool, but what im wanting to know is would the PSU I currently have be able to do the job? As its an arctic case I cant upgrade the PSU, and am rather reluctant to have to buy a new case AND PSU if I can make do without it.

Associate
I was looking at that case but I was wondering do you think the PSU would have enough juice to run a AMD64 X2 4200+ , X1900XT , DFI UT NF4 Ultra D , 2gb RAM, 74GB raptor, 120gb SATA , X-fi Music, DVD-RW and 2 120mm fans? I was originally going to get a Akasa Paxpower 460w but this looks cheaper and I quite like the case.

Associate
A 350w will probably cover a X1800XL if you are only running the basics along side it; 1 Hard disk, 1 optical drive, no extra fans and no separate sound card. It might well even be able to cope with a bit more..... but it might not. You may find that it doesn't even offer enough power to overclock the card stabley.

Personally i'd buy the card first, see if it works, then upgrade the PSU if there are any problems. I think you'll just about be ok though.

Soldato
MG42Maniac said:
I was looking at that case but I was wondering do you think the PSU would have enough juice to run a AMD64 X2 4200+ , X1900XT , DFI UT NF4 Ultra D , 2gb RAM, 74GB raptor, 120gb SATA , X-fi Music, DVD-RW and 2 120mm fans? I was originally going to get a Akasa Paxpower 460w but this looks cheaper and I quite like the case.

If you're buying one of the new cases these come with a 450W PSU so this will be plenty :)

As an aside, I'd go for the X2 4400+ for the extra cache or get an Opteron 165/170 and clock it - these clock like a demon and are a perfect match for the DFI board

man_from_uncle said:
A 350w will probably cover a X1800XL if you are only running the basics along side it; 1 Hard disk, 1 optical drive, no extra fans and no separate sound card. It might well even be able to cope with a bit more..... but it might not. You may find that it doesn't even offer enough power to overclock the card stabley.

Personally i'd buy the card first, see if it works, then upgrade the PSU if there are any problems. I think you'll just about be ok though.

That's a good point. Overclocking really increases the demand on the PSU

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
If you're buying one of the new cases these come with a 450W PSU so this will be plenty :)

As an aside, I'd go for the X2 4400+ for the extra cache or get an Opteron 165/170 and clock it - these clock like a demon and are a perfect match for the DFI board

Ok cheers for the info. I didn't know the 'new' cases came with a 450w PSU I though it was a 350w that could put out 450w for periods of time. I'll pick this one up. I looked at some benchmarks between the 4200+ and the 4400+ and its not much and if I was the get the 4400+ I would have to drop down to a X1800XT 512MB as i'm on the limit of my budget ;)

Soldato
Why not get an Opteron 165/170 then?

These both clock to 2.6Ghz+, often on stock volts or with a slight voltage bump. This makes them the same as the FX60 - 2.6Ghz per core, 128KB L1 cache per core and 1MB L2 cache per core

They're really just rebadged Athlon 64s just put under higher stress testing :)

Back
Top Bottom