Dead pixel

Associate
I recently got a new Dell PC, and it came with a 19inch TFT. The first one started 'fizzing' after a day or two, and giving out a smell of burning - I had that one replaced!! My new one has now arrived and it is fine, however I have noticed one stuck pixel (a sort of purple/red) in the lower left of the screen. I have tried a programme that can 'excite' the pixel, but it hasnt done any good. It isnt spoiling my enjoyment of games, DVD's etc - and it only shows up on bright yellow or white screens, but is there anything else I can do to remove it? Is it normal on large TFT screens?

Associate
hi, you could try a program called UDPixel, it's freeware, this program allows you to run a 1x1 pixel ( refreshing) and set the responce time on this pixel, you then put the "pixel" or cursor over the lazy or stuck pixel and let the program run for a few hours, I have heard of some people using it and it worked. It however never worked for me.

try a search on google for it.

Cheers

Soldato
most companies have a certain number of dead pixel before you can rma it. there are a few that do offer a guarantee tho.......at an extra cost.

i had one dead pixel on mine about a week after buying it. think i might have to give that software ago.

Associate
beerbaron, when you ring the manufacturer up and tell them you have an issue regarding dead pixels with your monitor. You should not say "I have one dead pixel will you please replace it" What I do is give them the spiel, I tell them I have dead pixels around the centre of the screen ( I always make sure I know what there dead pixel policy is before calling them ) They always say not a problem as it's there policy normally that more than 1 dead pixel in the centre is not acceptable or there abouts.

You then get your old monitor swapped out with a new one, they wont identify the problem until they get the monitor back, by that time it's too late you have a new monitor. I have never had a monitor company call me up and question the faulty monitor that has gone back to them.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
There is the manufacturer's "dead pixel policy", and there is the law. You can return the monitor within seven days of receivership to the retailer. See here for more.

Associate
I agree, phone and tell them you have a "Dead" pixel. After all you don't know the difference between a dead pixel and a sub pixel do you? It might just work, good luck anyway.

Associate
This whole dead pixel thing does my head in.

I'm in the market for one (probably a Dell) but for me, even 1 dead pixel is too much. If I'm paying for something it should be damn well perfect.

If I was to buy a Dell monitor from here and it was faulty would I be rma'ing it to overclockers or Dell??

Associate
gizmo1990 said:
This whole dead pixel thing does my head in.

I'm in the market for one (probably a Dell) but for me, even 1 dead pixel is too much. If I'm paying for something it should be damn well perfect.

If I was to buy a Dell monitor from here and it was faulty would I be rma'ing it to overclockers or Dell??

my sentiments exactly, over the last 2mths I have had 4 Belineas, 1 Ferrari, 1 Toshiba 32" HDTV LCD, and 1x 42" HDTV and 1x 2405FPW all send back for either deadpixels or major backlight bleedin.

Some people just accept the issue and do nothing about it, I cause a fuss or just send the faulty item back under the DSA for a full refund.

And I have got a refund on everything I have had to send back so far.

Cheers

Associate
If you were to return under the distance selling regs then it would be to OC, if as a faulty item then direct to Dell. They will send a new monitor within the first 14 days, after that a refurbished one but it should be as new. Normally what happens is the courier drops off the replacement and picks up your return at the same time.

Associate
Good to know guys thanks.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks its a nonsense. Some people I've talk think 1 or 2 are acceptable. :confused: Personally I think they're barmy. If you pay for something brand new it should be in perfect condition.

Looks like its Dell for me. Now if only they'd announce these new models of theirs...

Soldato
it doesnt matter that it is brand new. the manufactures cant help dead or stuck pixels. if they tested and threw away every monitor that had dead/stuck pixels the monitors would cost 5x as much... you know what i mean :confused:

Back
Top Bottom