I don't believe in tipping.

Permabanned
Anyone else like me and don't beleive in tipping???? It really got me thinking after reading that vegas thread.

Its not like people are doing jobs off their own backs. There already getting paid for it........so why should we pay them for a job there SUPPOSE to be doing and already getting paid for it!!!!

I remember watching Steve Buscemi from Reservoir Dogs when he too doesn't believe in tipping. Classic and I think he's right.

"whaddya mean you don't tip"

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I tip when I have enjoyed my dinner in a restaraunt in a foreign country because I know they don't earn a lot. I also tip taxi drivers because I'm drunk and I think they are my best mates.

Soldato
depends, i don't mind tipping for good service, but tipping being expected i don't like.

The thing I really hate is restaurants that 'double tip', adding 12.5% service is fine, but then leaving a space for a gratuity really irritates me.

In general i round cab fairs up, and the same in pubs when paying on card or with cash.

Permabanned
OP
What I mean is that you get dirty looks in some places if you don't tip.

It bothers me when they EXPECT a tip. Its wrong you get daggers for not tipping.

EDIT : didn't EXPECT bush to get there before me :)

Hitman
Permabanned
I will tip if I am happy with the level of service, which means if I'm not happy at the end of the meal, I will pay with a card and then leave.

Soldato
In some parts of the world it's deemed second nature to tip a certain amount. I personally tip if I've received good service, and hey, tipping people feels good :)

Man of Honour
What does annoy me is the concept of gratuities on cruise ships. I sell cruises for a living, and I positively wince when someone asks me what the tipping rates are aboard ships (Cunard approx £8 per person per day, Princess about $9 per person per day)
It's extortion.
Some lines (Thomson, Island, Ocean Village I think) don't have compulsory tipping.

Soldato
I dont mind tipping, but I really really really hate it when it I have it thrown in my face. Especially the last time I went to the USA. People have nerve to ask you where their tip is, and bus drivers have signs saying "gratuity is our way of life".

Associate
I don't like the expectation of tipping, if there has been a reasonable service or above then I am happy to chuck a bit in but if it's been below average or poor then I tend to chuck in only a quid or two as a bit of a slap in the face.

*Don't put tips on your card if you can avoid it by the way, saw something on tv a while ago that said if it comes with the main bill a lot of restaurants just use it as part of waiters' salaries, so always try to leave coinage as tip.*

Also hate tipping bathroom attendants in toilets. I'm willing to chuck in a quid at the start/end of the night but having to do it every time irks me somewhat ;)

Man of Honour
Lopéz said:
What does annoy me is the concept of gratuities on cruise ships. I sell cruises for a living, and I positively wince when someone asks me what the tipping rates are aboard ships (Cunard approx £8 per person per day, Princess about $9 per person per day).
:eek:

Man of Honour
I don't mind tipping if the waiters are students like myself or if the service is great. More often than not the staff get paid a pittance and heck if they can survive that and still be nice, more power to them :)

What I don't like is "pre-tipping" where the service is presumed good.

Man of Honour
Gilly said:
Exactly

Cunard said:
What about tipping?

To make it easy for you to say ‘thank you’ to your stateroom steward, dining room waiter and other key personnel for their on-board service, a suggested per person amount will automatically be charged to your shipboard account and distributed to these crew members. Recommended daily amounts vary by ship and accommodation grade as follows:

QM2
• Grill Accommodation
Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, P1, P2
$13 (approx £9.00) per person per day
• Britannia Accommodation
B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6
$11 (approx £8.00) per person per day

CARONIA
• All Accommodation
£5 per person per day

QE2
• Grill Accommodation
Q1, QS, Q2, Q3, Q4, QG, P1, P2, P3, PG
£9 per person per day
• Caronia & Mauretania
Accommodation
C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, CA, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, MI, MO
£8 per person per day
For bar and salon services, a 15% service charge is added to your on-board account on QM2 & QE2

This is on top of the 2 grand or whatever you just payed for the cruise itself.

Man of Honour
How on earth is it a suggested amount if they're automatically charging you it?

Sod that. I'd actually refuse to go on a cruise with their company down to that.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Lopéz said:
I tip when I have enjoyed my dinner in a restaraunt in a foreign country because I know they don't earn a lot. I also tip taxi drivers because I'm drunk and I think they are my best mates.

I share that philosophy and extend it to my hair dresser and, very occasionally, bar staff.

Associate
Unless the service is great I just chuck a £1 down, if it's good I add the 10%, I really dislike having the tip added on. I went to a place in Portsmouth where you grill your own food at the table and they bring you out the side orders, so basically you are cooking your own dinner, then then added £30 tip on the the bill!

Back
Top Bottom