I don't believe in tipping.

Associate
johnnyb said:
I remember watching Steve Buscemi from Reservoir Dogs when he too doesn't believe in tipping. Classic and I think he's right.

"whaddya mean you don't tip"

Reservoir Dogs is brilliant, Steve Buscemi my hero, he totally convinced me not to tip. That said I tip the carry out delivery guys....but thats it.

Soldato
loopylou said:
Unless the service is great I just chuck a £1 down, if it's good I add the 10%, I really dislike having the tip added on. I went to a place in Portsmouth where you grill your own food at the table and they bring you out the side orders, so basically you are cooking your own dinner, then then added £30 tip on the the bill!

was that the Char-Bar at port solent?

ive never had a tip added on to the bill when i go there and ive been going there for years!

Man of Honour
I put a £ in any restaurent i'm in. And I tip taxi drivers if they've had to make a few stops, pick somebody up, or wait for me at a cash point. But otherwise i'm a little tighter with me money :)

Soldato
I tip if I feel someone has done more than they would deserve for their standard pay.

E.g. if I go to a restaurant and the waiter/waitress takes the orders, brings out the food and clears the table but no more, then I will not usually tip by much, usually just up to the nearest pound. If they go out of their way to help though, and it's obvious this isn't expected from their £5 an hour basic wage, then I will always tip.

It does all depend on the kind of place though. I am likely to tip more if I go to a family run small restaurant than if I go to your local chain restaurant.

Associate
I see the other side of the coin, i waiter and work bars at my local hotel, love the industry so much i'm going into it! Anyway tipping doesn't bother me, i used to acept tips whenever offered however now for some reason i tend to refuse them, especially if someone offers to buy me a drink, it's just not right to do sometimes.

Most people aren't soley after your tips, it's just a small bonus telling them they do their job well, which i already know i do! :D

Associate
johnnyb said:
Anyone else like me and don't beleive in tipping???? It really got me thinking after reading that vegas thread.

Its not like people are doing jobs off their own backs. There already getting paid for it........so why should we pay them for a job there SUPPOSE to be doing and already getting paid for it!!!!

I remember watching Steve Buscemi from Reservoir Dogs when he too doesn't believe in tipping. Classic and I think he's right.

"whaddya mean you don't tip"

Because the staff that serve you and others like you do not want to be there, they are on low wages and usually its a second job supplementing their income. They would much rather be at home with their loved ones, however even though they have degrees they still cant earn enough to buy a house in London/south. So after spending an miserable evening making sure your evening is anything but, how would you feel when a £100 bill gets accompanied by a £1 tip. People who do not tip make me sick, put yourself in their shoes the next time you are stuffing your face and looking at waiting staff with disdain.

I am waiting for my girlfriend to come home now, she works 6 days a week as an interior designer, 3 nights as a waitress and two nights as a Samaritan. I work 6 days as a Lecturer, even combined its hard to make ends meet in London.

Soldato
The men in toilets/bathrooms in bars are nothing short of ridiculous. I just blank them because I don't understand the concept at all, I go out smelling nice, and just because I drain the lizard I don't suddenly start smelling of lepers and need a top up of aftershave.

Sanzy said:
"dont wear wolly socks in summer"
Defintely don't wear his socks, he might get angry.

Permabanned
OP
Event Horizon said:
Because the staff that serve you and others like you do not want to be there, they are on low wages and usually its a second job supplementing their income. They would much rather be at home with their loved ones, however even though they have degrees they still cant earn enough to buy a house in London/south. So after spending an miserable evening making sure your evening is anything but, how would you feel when a £100 bill gets accompanied by a £1 tip. People who do not tip make me sick, put yourself in their shoes the next time you are stuffing your face and looking at waiting staff with disdain.

I am waiting for my girlfriend to come home now, she works 6 days a week as an interior designer, 3 nights as a waitress and two nights as a Samaritan. I work 6 days as a Lecturer, even combined its hard to make ends meet in London.

What about other people in low paid jobs......cleaners, mcdonalds, labourers etc. You don't see them getting tips, they have to cope too. We have a minimum wage in this country so people working in all areas are not getting screwed over.

I do agree that some poorer foreign countries tipping might be appropriate but not here where people can live off doing sweet nothing. Just because a job involves working with the public shouldn't entitle you to extra bonuses.

A cleaners job is to clean
A bus drivers job is to drive a bus
A waitresses job is to wait on the public >> stop expecting and begging and do your job lol

Last edited:
Soldato
I work in the service/catering trade, and appreciate the tips, however I don't expect them :)

If i'm eating out with friends, we normally round up the amount so we all pay and equal amount, or something like that. If its just me and the missus i'll just round up the amount (£45 to £50, for example)

I'll only leave a large tip if the person serving has gone over and above the level of service, and making even the most strange of requests seem like no trouble at all.

:)

Soldato
I got pretty mad the other night...

Living in the States, tipping is a way of life of course. I don't mind at all - if I get good service they get a good tip.....bad service they get the minimum or nothing at all. Anyway, we went to this Chinese restaurant and had the buffet. All our waitress did was show us to our seats, bring drinks and give us the bill. She wasn't even around to top the drinks up - another girl did that. So, on the section of the bill where you leave a tip I left it blank - I'm not tipping when I've just had a buffet thanks very much. So she comes over and points out that I've left it blank. I tell her "I know". She stands there looking at it for some time.....then puts it back down in front of me and points to the tip section again! So I draw a line through it and underline the total :rolleyes: She went off looking very bemused. I mean.....a buffet, for gods sake......I aint that generous :eek:

Soldato
Curio said:
I got pretty mad the other night...

Living in the States, tipping is a way of life of course. I don't mind at all - if I get good service they get a good tip.....bad service they get the minimum or nothing at all. Anyway, we went to this Chinese restaurant and had the buffet. All our waitress did was show us to our seats, bring drinks and give us the bill. She wasn't even around to top the drinks up - another girl did that. So, on the section of the bill where you leave a tip I left it blank - I'm not tipping when I've just had a buffet thanks very much. So she comes over and points out that I've left it blank. I tell her "I know". She stands there looking at it for some time.....then puts it back down in front of me and points to the tip section again! So I draw a line through it and underline the total :rolleyes: She went off looking very bemused. I mean.....a buffet, for gods sake......I aint that generous :eek:

Seems fair enough. If said waitress had been very polite and courteous, checked back every now and again to see if everything was alright, and served more drinks, would you have left a tip?

Associate
johnnyb said:
What about other people in low paid jobs......cleaners, mcdonalds, labourers etc. You don't see them getting tips, they have to cope too. We have a minimum wage in this country so people working in all areas are not getting screwed over.

I do agree that some poorer foreign countries tipping might be appropriate but not here where people can live off doing sweet nothing. Just because a job involves working with the public shouldn't entitle you to extra bonuses.

A cleaners job is to clean
A bus drivers job is to drive a bus
A waitresses job is to wait on the public >> stop expecting and begging and do your job lol

And as you obviously do not realise, people who serve you your dinner do not get the minimum wage, most restaurants would fold if they had to, and bus drivers, don't make be choke, do you have any idea how much they get paid?

Its attitudes like that, that have caused most independent restaurants to include a service charge, and if you don't like that then expect a 10% increase in your food costs.

Tips are there for you to reward a respectful standard of service, not to cheapskate you way out of £4. If you really didn't like the service then do not pay it, but that should be the exception not the rule. How does £15 sound for five hours work serving snot gobbling morons and smiling like an idiot while you do it.

Think of it as income tax, you might not like paying it, but i bet your glad your rubbish bins get emptied every week..

Soldato
Mohinder said:
It's different in the US - their culture is more geared toward tipping, and jobs in those sort of trades (waiting, bar and so on) are paid less, and tips make it up. In the US, most bar staff and waiters/waitresses need the tip to earn enough each week.

It's just different cultures.

Indeed mate, which is probably why you get such attentive (sometimes overboard) service from staff in the USA I find. Makes a nice change from the usual oiks serving in our local restraunts, usually your hard pushed to get a smile out of them.
Personally I tip exceptional service, doing your standard P&Q's is what you are paid for anyway IMO.
If I think that something was worth more than what they charge for it I tip too, like my barbers, they only charge £6.50 so I always just leave it at a tenner especially as I often have a mass of hair to cut LOL.

Soldato
-westy- said:
Seems fair enough. If said waitress had been very polite and courteous, checked back every now and again to see if everything was alright, and served more drinks, would you have left a tip?

Possibly. Although, seeing as a buffet is (by its very nature) self-service, I wouldn't feel it was at all expected to leave a tip. She would have to be extremely charming to get one :) 9/10 times I wouldn't leave a tip for a buffet.

Soldato
I generally always tip (even though I thought 'service charge' was the 'tip', but they seem to be different things now, since 'service charge' is usually automatically included... :S) Even for bad service- we tipped 50p once because the waitress was a complete tool. That worked out at approx 1.3%, ho ho.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I dont think waiters get paid a lot so if I am happy with the service and feel that the waiter was kind etc I will tip them. I dont have a set amount, usually just the change and maybe another $5 or so.

I have been to places, nice places, and not tipped because the only thing the waiter did was ask what I wanted and bring it to me, they get paid to do that. If the waiter jokes with me or if its a waitress and she's cute than I will tip.

Soldato
I always tip unless the service is bad. They get 60p to £1 per hours here so they really need the tips. It really aggravates me when I go out with people from uni who don’t tip; I sometimes end up tipping on behalf of everyone.

I don’t really tip taxi drivers because I feel they make enough money and they have a easy job.

Back
Top Bottom