'We're going to crash', screams air stewardess!

Permabanned
'Virgin Atlantic is investigating claims that an air stewardess repeatedly shouted "we're going to crash" during a flight hit by turbulence.
Passengers reportedly began to panic and cry as the shouts rang out when the London to Las Vegas flight suddenly began "juddering".'

FULL STORY: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4759300.stm

I'm sorry but how unprofessional is that!

Associate
I guess when passengers start hitting the ceiling (that wasn't a metaphor) you really find out what you're made of.

Man of Honour
It's unprofessional, but I guess it could have been her first time in severe turbulence. All the training in the world can't really prepare you for something like that, emotions can really take over and to that extent I feel sorry for her. Saying that, it would be a different story if one of the pilots threw a wobbly at 30,000 ft:p

Soldato
Sounds like a good time to bring in my story. :D

During my flying lesson on Sunday, we hit turbulance so bad both myself and my instructor (an experienced pilot) brained ourselves on the plane cockpit. We were both sat there in a daze as the plane began to make roll down towards the ground. We both came to our senses and pulled her level.

Afterwards we checked ourselves over (I had blood trickling down my head) and wondered how that happened. Freak weather event ***.

Associate
Turbelence is fun!

Anyway, I'd imagine that most of the seats in that plane would need to be dry cleaned :o Especially the Stewards seat :x

Man of Honour
Wryel said:
I guess when passengers start hitting the ceiling (that wasn't a metaphor) you really find out what you're made of.
That's what seatbelts are for. Doesn't stop the stewardesses hitting the roof of course. :eek:

Reports are the flight was very turbulent with sick bags everywhere etc. I've been on very turbulent flights myself (felt like being on a rollercoaster, complete with people being sick), and no-one said we were going to crash.

It's totally unprofessional and the stewardess should be sacked forthwith. If she panicked like that over turbulence, just imagine what she'd be like if the plane really had to do a forced landing for whatever reason. They're trained to remain calm and deal with potentially stressful situations. If she can't 'hack it', she shouldn't be there. Period.

Last edited:
Soldato
Berserker said:
It's totally unprofessional and the stewardess should be sacked forthwith. If she panicked like that over turbulence, just imagine what she'd be like if the plane really had to do a forced landing for whatever reason. They're trained to remain calm and deal with potentially stressful situations. If she can't 'hack it', she shouldn't be there. Period.
Nail on head, if that was a real life or death situation where carrying out the right procedure could've saved lives then her actions could have been very costly.

Associate
bitboy said:
It's unprofessional, but I guess it could have been her first time in severe turbulence.

It was apparently.

I also heard that the passengers hitting the ceiling etc didn't have time to get to their seats.

Permabanned
OP
Exactly! If the plane had actually crashed - would she have been able to help deploy the inflatable rafts and keep people calm etc. LIKE HELL SHE WOULD! What is the point of her actually being an air stewardess! The main role of them is to take care of the passengers. She probably just thought, like a lot of people, 'Oooo I'll totter down the aisle giving Mr Jones his coffee. And walk through the airport looking FABULOUS in my little blue uniform!' Once an emergency arises - which is WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR! She breaks down.

No excuses! The job isn't for her and she should be dimissed immediatly. She is an hazard in herself.

Man of Honour
Wryel said:
I also heard that the passengers hitting the ceiling etc didn't have time to get to their seats.
OK, if that's true, then it's clearly an exceptional event as the pilots almost always get some warning, but even so, in a real life or death situation, it's the cabin crew that are the first line in dealing with it.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Ive never been in a plane but if i was on a plane and someone started yelling in turbulance "WE'RE GOING TO CRASH!!!" i would have a serious brown trouser moment.
Fair enough if it was a passenger that said it, i would still poo myself but not as badly but if it was from a crew member that get infomation from the piliots if the need the plane woud look like the toilets would have exploded after ive **** my self :eek: :p :(

She should be fired imo. What if someone had a heart problem :mad:

Soldato
Am I right in saying that it's very rare for an aircraft to crash purely from turbulence - even clear air turbulence?

I used to hate turbulence, but after flying quite a lot the past few years I've learned to accept it.....almost enjoy it! Mind you, I've never encountered the really bad stuff.

Soldato
That fear is an ugly thing when it kicks in. Some people can work with it, some can't.

I know this sounds harsh, but I hope they let her go - for her own sake, not to mention their customers'.

Flying is not for everybody.

Soldato
Worst Turbulence i had when I went to portugal last year and its was thundering and lightning on take off and we was up quite high going diagonally and the lights went out and we started to drop for like 1 second stomach in mouth moment was quite scary.

I wouldnt be suprised if their was screaming on that flight as even in the bad turbulence i had people were.

Back
Top Bottom