Neighbour complaining about noise

Associate
My neighbour (old guy living buy himself) came to my door this morning to tell me he is going to make a complaint about noise coming from my house. He said that there is noise at 2 to 3am most mornings and before 11pm there is usually loud music.

The 2 to 3am part is a load of crap since i go to bed most nights at 11pm because i have to go to work at 7am so i have no idea where he's getting that from. The before 11pm bit has a bit of truth to it but my music is never up so loud that it should **** off people.

I was thinking i should make a complaint about him coming to my door drunk and being a general ******* when he gets back from the pub. He has only done it 3 times but it is quite dodgey when he does it cause he is generally aggressive. Should I complain about that?

What are my rights reguarding the complaints and is there any set rules to times i can play music loudly etc?

Associate
On your part, then it can be a very difficult situation, you may be playing music at what you deem to be an acceptable volume but it could travel more than you realise. Are you in flats (ie: you upstairs him downstairs)? Do you have wooden floors or carpet (carpets work well as a noise insulator)? As far as I remember, then DIY noise cannot go on after 6pm or before 9am, music/TV is a different matter as I have previously said and I think that a moderate volume is tolerated up until 11pm at night.

On his part. He is being drunk and disorderly and you are well within your rights to call the Police if he continues with this kind of behaviour.

Soldato
As long as you ARENT making noise after 11pm then let him do what he wants. It onus is on him to prove that you are.... as long as you arent then you have nothing to worry about.

If he ever talks to you abusively etc just note it all down down with dates and times and also ( possibly) keep a small tape recorder near the front door. If he starts being abusive just tape him.... he will soon back down.

The council will not and cannot just make an order against you with no evidence, and as i beleive it they will install equipment in his house to monitor noise levels ( should it get to that stage) so if you arent doing anything wrong then dont worry. Sounds to me like an old codger with too much time on his hands and is out to annoy someone.

Soldato
AtreuS said:
The council will not and cannot just make an order against you with no evidence, and as i beleive it they will install equipment in his house to monitor noise levels ( should it get to that stage).

as far as i know,they will just give the guy a sheet of paper to log every time it happens for a period of time, and then judge whether or not they need to go ahead with anything else. And, as its a council, expect to wait a year or so before anything happens (unless you are in windsor!)

Soldato
Well.... try and be considerate. If he's complaining in a reasoned manner, go over there and see how loud it is and so on. From his point of view he's quite entitled to go to bed a 10 if he wants to and he ought - in my opinion - to be able to do that without loud music coming from you.

Don
i'm lucky not to get any proper complaints yet.!

Logi-SPEAKER-Z5500-f1.jpg

straight outta compton on FULL volume! -only on friday / sat nights at say 3am

Associate
by law you can make as much noise as you want from 7am to 11pm i think. But complain about him first and mention most of the time when he comes around to have ago he is drunk so if he does complain so council or what ever there ment to they wont be in a rush to look into it

learn this due to having a party at a mates having music on loud untill 10:30pm then next door neighbour starts coming around and threatening that there goona call police we didnt care due to we can do it by law untill 11pm after that turned it down abit and we didnt have no problems

wooo my 800th post :)

Soldato
Murf said:
Aren't they cute teeny weeny speakers. :p

:D :D

Downstairs
rubiance.jpg

Upstairs
loudspeaker_m32_d.jpg

In all honesty though there is a pub on one side of our flat and so they are never going to complain and on the other side is offices so we are fine with as much noise as i feel like making.

Last edited:
Soldato
basmic said:
Suddenly the thread turns into a willy-waving competition...

Agreed.

I had a neighbor come and complain about me last week about my music being too loud. I said ok, got my keays closed the door and went into his place, my music still playing. I couldn't hear a thing.

It seems he doesn't like me very much ever since I had a go at his son about parking his car in my parking space outside where I live. Causing me to park on the otherside of the road causing a problem with the guy opposite. At least that guy was understanding and said he had no problems with me parking my car there whilst the neighbors son was staying.

I do have a double drive but my Dad and sisters cars are parked there so my car has to be parked on the road.

I didn't get nasty with him, there was no need, it was just a right shock because my music is never loud, and it can't be heard outside unkess the windows are open. The chump never apologised but I just felt his actions a little rude and unfair.

Still like others have said don't gve him any other reason to complain, and have a tip for you dude, headphones :)

Still he does sound like a right donkey and he probably has too much time on his hands.

Soldato
Murf said:
Aren't they cute teeny weeny speakers. :p

I have the 2x1 version of these, I am telling you, they reeny but ****ing loud, when I turn it up my housemates come from downstairs saying I should put the music down because they can't hear the telly :cool:

basmic said:
Suddenly the thread turns into a willy-waving competition...

It's like big SUVs, they compensate their small manhoods for big things! :D

Back
Top Bottom