Placing speakers

Soldato
i have two sattelites speakers either side of the monitor about half a meter apart and from me.

on wooden desk

and a sub woofer in the bottom compartment .. wooden surface.. is there any specific placement for the best sound... or setup...

apparently my subwoofer will cause an echo in the desk.. as its like encased with wood... is this a factor or does it not really matter

Soldato
The absolute best way for you to find out is to experiment with placement. It's hard for anyone to say exactly what to do without actually listening for themselves.

What would you like to improve? Is the bass too boomy? Is the treble too harsh? Are your speakers the limiting factor anyway?

Soldato
speaker6mm.jpg

thats how they should be setup in an ideal world.

your sub shouldnt really be inside ** desk, it will be better placed on the floor beside your desk. you will almost definatly be loosing sound quality, and you will have an echo.

saying that though, as long as you are happy with how it sounds nothing else matters :)

Soldato
That's how I've got my fronts setup, at 45 degrees either way about a metre apart. My sub is under the desk since there's nowhere else for it to go. Only thing would be to get a desk without solid sides. PC subs aren't the best anyway usually.

Associate
My sub in under my desk, and my 2 satellites (AEs) are nailed on the each of the top corners of the wall that is behind me. This set up really does my sound system justice.

Associate
Always keep speakers well away from corners.
Measure the radius of the bass driver.
This is how far the speaker should be from the back wall.

If it's ported you'll definitly want to experiment with distance from the back wall.
Play with it until the bass is well defined.
Also try plugging the ports. Although some speakers are best with the open ports, I prefer the infinite baffle design for tighter bass. I've found some ported speakers that work better this way. You have to wonder why they ported them sometimes!

Soldato
Small closed box satellites won't really notice the difference from the wall, but it's always worth experimenting.

The reason I say experiment is that you might sit at your desk at an odd angle, or have a strange shaped room.

Also some people prefer unorthodox setups. Notice v-man likes his speakers behind him.

Associate
Totally agree with what tom_nieto said.

Also, one thing about a decent sub-woofer is that you should be able to position it pretty much anywhere in the room. The human ear is not at all good at distinguishing where very low frequencies are coming from. Try it and see. Having said that, if it makes a big difference you could always say well, it's just not a very good sub ;)

Back
Top Bottom