Line Stats - what do they mean?

Soldato
What do the following line stats mean? What speed do you think I should be able to get or do you need some more information?

Thanks

Woosh gives the following for downstream noise values:

Loop Loss 63 dB Long Line
Margin 13 dB

Soldato
there are ways to improve your stats etc, better cabling, ADSL NTE5 master box etc.
Ive just added a NTE5 master box and some new cabling around the house this morning and have improved my stats a lot.

SNR gone up 12db and my Line attenuations gones down 5db

Soldato
wesley said:
63db means u live miles away from local exchange

i'll be very surprised if u can get 1mb

No it doesnt mean anything of the sort.

Your attenuation is affected by your LINE lenth, quality, material and thickness.

I live 2.8KM from my echange, a BT engineer said my line is 3.5km, and that my attenuation is 55db, simply because there is an aluminium cable in the villiage.

A friend of mine can throw a stone at the exchange, but his phone line loops around the town before arriving at the exchange, so he is currently on 256k (65+db attenuation).

Soldato
9761 said:
there are ways to improve your stats etc, better cabling, ADSL NTE5 master box etc.
Ive just added a NTE5 master box and some new cabling around the house this morning and have improved my stats a lot.

SNR gone up 12db and my Line attenuations gones down 5db
did you wire it yourself? got ne guides?

Caporegime
Without current sync rate, the SNR margin's useless.
It's possible the attenuation's higher still too - some modems stick at ~63dB.

Assuming it's accurate, and your line's all copper, then wesley's right - you're a fair way from the exchange (>6km I'd expect).

Soldato
gam3r said:
did you wire it yourself? got ne guides?

Yeah, Just remember what Coloured wires go were, when you take the wall box face plate off mark down what colour wires goes with which number thats on the back of the face plate I then run the cable to the next socket and do the same.
I used some Cat5e wire I had left over, also it was handy as it was water proof stuff.

When messing with your master box don't touch any wires that come from your phone line, thats BT's job you are only allowed to touch the wires on the back of the faceplate to your extensions.

Saved meself £80+ call out BT were charging for call out and the box it self.

Soldato
tolien said:
Without current sync rate, the SNR margin's useless.
It's possible the attenuation's higher still too - some modems stick at ~63dB.

Assuming it's accurate, and your line's all copper, then wesley's right - you're a fair way from the exchange (>6km I'd expect).

Its also possible that he lives next door to his exchange, although its unlikely I admit.

Caporegime
Dave2150 said:
Its also possible that he lives next door to his exchange, although its unlikely I admit.

But only if the line consists of some high-attenuation medium.
The router could be reporting drivel too - it would hardly be a new thing.

tolien said:
Assuming it's accurate, and your line's all copper

Soldato
OP
those results were from the ISP. My router is showing this:

Statistics Downstream
Line Rate 576 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 1472 Kbps
Noise Margin 12.9 dB
Line Attenuation 57.5 dB
Output Power 11.9 dBm

Statistics Upstream
Line Rate 288 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 772 Kbps
Noise Margin 19.0 dB
Line Attenuation 31.5 dB
Output Power 15.7 dBm

The background to the story is I was on a 2mb connection. I moved house with the ISP, but the router would not sync at the new address. BT have downgraded the line to 512k and I can now sync. With the above stats, should I be able to ask them to put me up to 1meg?

Thanks

Caporegime
Your attenuation's within spec for 1Mbps, but your SNR would drop, and it's pretty iffy as it is.
Whoosh result seems to suggest your router's reporting 6dB higher attenuation to the DSLAM than it does out its user interface (or its resynched and changed its mind).

Checking your internal wiring with a view to improving that SNR should be your priority, before you bother getting upgraded to 1Mbps (or think about MaxDSL and get something in between).

Soldato
OP
The line is a brand new, it was only installed about 2 weeks ago. There is only the master socket with no extensions. The filter is a faceplate which has ADSL V1.0 on it. I do live in a ground floor flat so I dont know what the wiring is like just outside.

I guess I'll just have to put up with it?

Caporegime
Sounds like it. Without a higher SNR margin you're pretty stuck.
For what it's worth, Mr Saffron/Andrew's "calculator" (here) gives:
A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 873kbps (kilo bits per second).

Another 3dB on the SNR margin, and you've got
A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 1202kbps (kilo bits per second).

Might be well worth trying another modem.

Soldato
A[L]C said:
The line is a brand new, it was only installed about 2 weeks ago. There is only the master socket with no extensions. The filter is a faceplate which has ADSL V1.0 on it. I do live in a ground floor flat so I dont know what the wiring is like just outside.

I guess I'll just have to put up with it?

Sounds like its A Filtered NTE5 faceplate which is good,
also all the wiring is all new which is very good!

Soldato
If I was you I would buy a new Modem or router if you can.

Those green modems are usally rubbish I've heard, i've never owned one but loads of people have complained about this modem.

Caporegime
They work, and they give (reasonably accurate) stats.
If you've got one, there's not much point forking out cash for a new device, unless it gives stats significantly different from the modem you've got.

Back
Top Bottom