SATA II or Raptor 10k?

Associate
im after a new hard drive just for running XP off, now i was going to get a Raptor 36gb soley for the fact that it 10k RPM and should help increase load times a little.

But for the price i could get a fairly large SATA 1/II drive now i know a SATA II drive aint really that much faster but would i be seeing much improvement in load times?

basicly this is for CS Source and for the odd bit of video editing and DVD Authoring that i do.

Im just not sure what to do, i want better load time but more space would be nice :)

Associate
OP
I will always need more disk space, currently have about 40gb left which i could quite easy use up within a week. But then if i wasnt last and burnt of some stuff i could free up 100gb or so.

I only have 1 space SATA-II slot so cant really go for a raid setup without removing on of my current HDD's and there only on SATA-I slots.

It will mainly be for increasing game loading time (CS Source) and a bit of video/dvd editing.

Im just unsure the price will justify the slight speed increase

Associate
I would go for raptor, i have used most SATA II drive and all of them have been slower than my raptor.

It depends on how much space you need. I have got a 74Gig raptor and ok it gets close to filled sometimes but only when i have some images to burn. I can never personally understand ppl who need 500Gig space as thats A HELL of a lot of data (Apart from in a media center maybe)

Associate
Phunky said:
Yeah ive just got hold of a 74gb Raptor from the Member Market for £75

Member Market...? Was this just someone contacting you advising they have 2nd hand drive for sale? Or am I missing something?

Soldato
darkblade said:
Member Market...? Was this just someone contacting you advising they have 2nd hand drive for sale? Or am I missing something?

You can access the members market once you have at least 250 posts and have been a member for at least 3 months. Very usefull place to pick up cheap hardware.

Back
Top Bottom