DV8

Associate
Greetz All.....

Im thinking of up-grading my rig.
Currently it stands at:

AMD 64 3200 Winni
Asus A8V Deluxe bios rev 1017
1gig Twinmoss BH5
ATI x8ooXT-pte (or something like that!)
X-Fi Music
160gig Seagate sata
80gig Samsung Sata backup
Dual Layer DVD Burner
DVD rom
Floppy
Tagen 480w silent PSU.

The upgrades im thinking of doing are:
AMD Opty 165
DFI NF4 Expert
Saphire ATI X1900XT Extreme

Im not sure if the Tagen PSU will be up to running the extra stuff...?
Will need to upgrade that too or has it got the dogs dangly bits!!??

Cheers

Soldato
DV8 said:
Greetz All.....

Im thinking of up-grading my rig.
Currently it stands at:

AMD 64 3200 Winni
Asus A8V Deluxe bios rev 1017
1gig Twinmoss BH5
ATI x8ooXT-pte (or something like that!)
X-Fi Music
160gig Seagate sata
80gig Samsung Sata backup
Dual Layer DVD Burner
DVD rom
Floppy
Tagen 480w silent PSU.

The upgrades im thinking of doing are:
AMD Opty 165
DFI NF4 Expert
Saphire ATI X1900XT Extreme

Im not sure if the Tagen PSU will be up to running the extra stuff...?
Will need to upgrade that too or has it got the dogs dangly bits!!??

Cheers

That would be a very good upgrade.

Personally i think the Tagen 480w silent PSU will be fine running the extra gear.

Man of Honour
The Tagan will cope fine power wise, is it ATX 2.0 compliant? If it is excellent, you can stop reading :)

If it isn't then you will probably need a 20-24pin adapter for the motherboard(DFI don't recommend this but that is probably just covering their own back) and OcUK don't sell them at the minute(your local electrical retailer should however) and you may also need a 4-6pin adapter for the graphics card, one will probably come with the graphics card itself.

Soldato
A 480W 'quality' PSU is enough for any single GPU system, the highest use I have seen of a single system was ~400W and that was a top spec system with dual GPU's

What is more important than watts is the amps on the 12V rail but I think a Tagan 480W has enough amps (>25A) on the 12V rail(s)

DV8

DV8

Associate
OP
semi-pro waster said:
The Tagan will cope fine power wise, is it ATX 2.0 compliant? If it is excellent, you can stop reading :)

If it isn't then you will probably need a 20-24pin adapter for the motherboard(DFI don't recommend this but that is probably just covering their own back) and OcUK don't sell them at the minute(your local electrical retailer should however) and you may also need a 4-6pin adapter for the graphics card, one will probably come with the graphics card itself.

Hmmm... ATX 2.0, not sure about that.... It came with an adapter but I seem t remember its for BTX?
Its already got a dedicated 4 pin power point, I use it for the x800, it aslo has 2 sata power connectors.. I'll look into the ATX 2.0 thing though.....

Soldato
DV8 said:
Hmmm... ATX 2.0, not sure about that.... It came with an adapter but I seem t remember its for BTX?
Its already got a dedicated 4 pin power point, I use it for the x800, it aslo has 2 sata power connectors.. I'll look into the ATX 2.0 thing though.....
Doesn't really matter, my Enermax is a ATX v1.3 one with a 20-pin ATX power cable and that works fine, you only might need some convertors

DV8

DV8

Associate
OP
DV8 said:

Dutch Guy said:
Doesn't really matter, my Enermax is a ATX v1.3 one with a 20-pin ATX power cable and that works fine, you only might need some convertors

What is BTX, is it something i've dreamed up?!?!!
I've just had a look at ATX 2.0 and the converters look identical to the BTX one I have?:confused:

Man of Honour
DV8 said:
What is BTX, is it something i've dreamed up?!?!!
I've just had a look at ATX 2.0 and the converters look identical to the BTX one I have?:confused:

BTX is a newer motherboard standard than ATX which has been around for 10 years in various forms(maybe more). It is designed to be more efficient and help airflow, from the boards I've seen though this generally means putting ports in the most awkward locations possible.

Soldato
BTX is the mobo format that intel tried pushing for but no one bought it as would require big changes to all cases etc and amd were not suggesting u had to do this so people just didnt buy it and intel shut up about it.

Back
Top Bottom